Mansa Devi Temple is dedicated to Goddess Mansa. The temple is situated in Haridwar in the state of Uttarakhand. It is located on the top of the Bilwa Parvat and also known as Bilwa Tirth. It is one of the Panch Tirth within Haridwar. Mansa Devi temple is also included among the Char Dham Yatra destinations.
Mansa Devi Temple – Facts
|Best Time to Visit||September to April|
|Darshan Timings||5:00 am to 12:00 pm. 2:00 pm to 9:00 pm|
|Ropeway Timings||7:00 AM to 9:00 PM|
|Ropeway Charges||Rs. 90 per person (to and fro)|
|Dress Code||Traditional Wear|
|Festivals||Navaratri and Kumbha Mela|
Mansa Devi Temple Timings
People can have darshan at Mansa Devi from 5 AM to 12 PM in the morning. There is an afternoon break from 12 PM to 2 PM. The evening darshan resumes at 2 PM and the temple closes at 9 PM.
Here are the timings of Mansa Devi temple:
|Morning Darshan||5 AM to 12 PM|
|Evening Darshan||2 PM to 9 PM|
Mansa Devi Cable Car and Trek Guide
Devotees can reach Mansa Devi Temple in two ways: on foot or by cable car.
- Walking requires a 3 km steep trek uphill. Trekking here is safe but can be difficult during summer. One might get heatstroke.
- Cable Car or Ropeway service is usually preferred by the people. The rope-way carries the pilgrims directly from the lower station to the temple. It is not only convenient but also shows you beautiful scenes on the way.
What is the significance of Mansa Devi Temple?
The term ‘Mansa‘ means ‘wish‘. It is a popular belief among the devotees that the goddess fulfills their wishes. So, they tie a thread to the branches of a tree present in the temple. Once the wishes are fulfilled, people come back to the temple again to untie the thread from the tree.
Mansa Devi temple is a famous Siddhpeeth. Siddhpeeths are known to fulfill the desires of the worshippers. It is one of three such Peeths located in Haridwar. The other two are Chandi Devi Temple and Maya Devi Temple.
Mansa Devi is considered a must visit for the pilgrims going to Haridwar. The temple is visited by thousands of devotees from various parts of the country. The count increases during Navaratri and Kumbha Mela.
Devi Mansa and Devi Chandi are the two forms of Goddess Parvati. It is said that they always reside close to each other. One can see Chandi temple from the top of Mansa temple in Haridwar. It can be found true since these temples are also close to each other in Haryana, Chandigarh too.
What is the history of Mansa Devi Temple?
The history of Mansa Devi relates back to many centuries ago. Goddess Mansa is believed to have emerged from the mind of great Sage Kashyap. Mansa is regarded as the sister of the Nagas (serpent). She is also believed to be the daughter of Lord Shiva in his human form.
There is also a story about the Goddess. Mansa was a common girl. She was unaware of her truth from her guardians. Hence, she decided to meet Lord Shiva to ask him about her truth. She sat for Sadhana and after years of meditation, Lord Shiva appeared before her. After learning her truth from Shiva, she gained her power.
According to another story, a cow used to offer milk to three shilas every day. These shilas were on the top of Shivalik hills. A local resident noticed this and over time, people started worshipping it. Later a temple was created at this place. It is believed that the forehead of Devi Sati was fallen at this place by the Sudarshana Chakra.
What are the festivals celebrated in Mansa Devi Temple?
- Navratri: Navratri or Durga Pooja is celebrated as a symbol of victory of good over evil. As per the legend, Goddess Durga killed the demon Mahishasura on this day. This saved the world from the evil and restored Dharma. Mansa Devi temple is heavily decorated on this day. Stage decorations, storytelling, enacting of the story, & chanting of scriptures is done. The temple is heavily crowded during this festival.
- Kumbh Mela: The Kumbh Mela is held every 12 years at Haridwar. The exact date is determined according to Hindu astrology. An Ardh Kumbh (“Half Kumbh”) Mela is also held after six years. The fair has a religious significance to Hindus. It is also the biggest commercial event attended by merchants worldwide. The last Kumbh Mela took place in 2010 and the next one is scheduled in 2021.
How to reach Mansa Devi Temple?
Here’s how to reach Mansa Devi Temple:
- Air: Jolly Grant Airport of Dehradun is at a distance of 37 km from the temple.
- Train: Haridwar is the nearest railway station at a distance of 3 km from the temple.
- Road: Buses are also available to Haridwar from ISBT, Kashmere Gate in New Delhi.
Where to stay near Mansa Devi Temple?
Some of the places where one can stay near Mansa Devi Temple are:
- Radisson Blu Haridwar: It is a five-star hotel for a luxurious stay. It is provided for both business and leisure. It also provides spacious rooms, excellent food, high-speed internet, a steam room, and a gym. This hotel is at a distance of 13 km from Mansa Devi Temple.
- Ganga Lahiri: This hotel provides pick-up facility from the railway station. It has an appealing interior. The windows of the rooms provide a beautiful view of the Ganga river.
- Golden Tulip Haridwar: It is a four-star hotel which is 7.6 km away from Haridwar Railway Station. This hotel gives excellent service in food and cleanliness. Guests can also enjoy massage therapies at the in-house massage centres.
What are some temples near Mansa Devi Temple?
Some of the temples near Mansa Devi temple are:
- Chandi Devi Temple, Haridwar: Chandi Devi temple is situated on the top of Neel Parvat in Haridwar. The temple is in the honour of Goddess Chandi. It is also one of the Panch Teerth present in Haridwar. Devi Chandi is a form of goddess Parvati and always reside close to Mansa Devi. People can also reach Chandi Devi temple via cable car.
- Maya Devi Temple: This temple is among the three ancient temples of Haridwar that are still intact. The other two are Narayan-Shila and Bhairav temple. The deities of the temple include Goddesses Maya, Goddess Kali as well as Kamakhya.
- Har ki Pauri, Haridwar: ‘Har ki Pauri’ stands for ‘Steps of Shiva‘. Har ki Pauri is a religious bathing ghat in Haridwar. It is on the banks of Ganga at the point where Ganga leaves mountains and enters the plains. A dip in the Ganga river cleanses the person of all his sins. It is also a part of Char Dham Yatra destinations in Uttarakhand.
- Neeleshwar Temple, Haridwar: This temple is present on the foot of Neel Parvat near the Kushavarta Ghat. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Neeldhara, a stream of Ganga, flows near the temple. Here, devotees take a dip before visiting the temple. This temple is about 500 meters away from Har ki Pauri.
Frequently Asked Questions about Mansa Devi Temple –
No, Online booking is not available. You can easily get the tickets from the ticket counter. The waiting time to get tickets is maximum 20 minutes.
Yes, you can buy combination tickets for darshan of both temples.
Ropeway service can be availed from as early as 07:00 AM in the morning. Usually, it is functional the whole day. It closes when the temple closes in the noon time.
The charges are around Rs 90 per head for going up and down to both sides of Mansa Devi temple.
You can stay in Ganga Ashram, Paramarth and many other Dharmasthalas. They are available at cheap rates.
Jolly Grant Airport of Dehradun is the nearest airport. It is at a distance of 37 km from the temple.
E-Rickshaws will take you from Har ki Pauri to Mansa Devi main entrance. From there, you can either walk or take Ropeway service.
The maximum temperature in summer can reach till 35°C. The minimum temperature that can fall down is 8°C in winter.