Jyotirlinga in Maharashtra are the 5 Shiva temples located in the state of Maharashtra. They are Bhimashankar, Trimbakeshwar, Grishneshwar, Aundha Nagnath and Parli Vaijnath. These 5 jyotirlinga together are also known as panch jyotirlinga. You can visit these jyotirlinga in four days either from Pune or Mumbai.
How many Jyotirlinga are there in Maharashtra?
There are 5 Jyotirlinga in Maharashtra out of 12 in India.
- Trimbakeshwar Temple
- Bhimashankar Temple
- Grishneshwar Temple
- Aundha Nagnath Temple
- Parli Vaijnath Temple
1. Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga
It is believed that Trimbakeshwar is the holiest place of Hindu mythology. The most unique feature of this temple is that the Shiva Linga here has three faces of the three almighty Gods of Hindu mythology – Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwara. River Godavari originates from here and anyone is believed to have acquired salvation, once he or she visits this place.
2. Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga
Lord Shiva appears as “Ardhanareeshwara” in this temple. River Bhima originates from Bhimashankar. The river is considered sacred because it is believed that the river is actually the perspiration of Lord Shiva after he defeated the demon Tripurasura. A holy dip in the river is believed to relieve ones of their sins.
3. Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga
Located very near to the Ellora caves, Grishneshwar temple is the last of the 12 Jyotirlingas. For devotees who undertake the Jyotirlinga pilgrimage, a visit to this temple completes their journey. One can reap the benefits of worshiping all the 12 Jyotirlingas by just visiting this one temple.
4. Aundha Nagnath Jyotirlinga
This is considered to be the first Jyotirlinga where Shiva is worshiped. It is believed that the Aundha Nagnath temple was built by Yudhisthira, the eldest Pandav, while they were in an exile for 14 years. Devotees believe that by praying at this temple, one can safeguard themselves against all poisons.
5. Parli Vaijnath Jyotirlinga
This temple is located in a village that is home to mountains and thick forests rich in medicinal herbs. Since the Parli Vaijnath temple is amidst such a healing atmosphere, the Lord here is addressed as Vaidhyanath. Devotees are allowed to touch the Linga during worship and this helps in healing and reaping various health benefits.
Itinerary for Maharashtra Jyotirlinga Tour
Day 1: Mumbai – Bhimashankar – Ahmednagar
- Early morning departure from Mumbai.
- Proceed to Bhimashankar and complete Darshan.
- Proceed to Ahmednagar.
- Overnight stay in Ahmednagar.
Day 2: Ahmednagar – Aundha – Parli
- Early morning travel to Aundha Nagnath and complete Darshan.
- Proceed to Parli Vaijnath and complete Darshan.
- Overnight stay in Parli.
Day 3: Parli – Grishneshwar – Aurangabad
- Early morning travel to Grishneshwar Temple and complete Darshan.
- Overnight stay in Aurangabad.
Day 4: Aurangabad – Trimbakeshwar – Mumbai
- Early morning travel to Trimbakeshwar Temple and complete Darshan.
- After darshan proceed to Mumbai.
Jyotirlinga in Maharashtra Map
What is a Jyotirlinga?
Jyotirlinga is considered as a true or Swayambhu form of Lord Shiva. Swayambhu Linga means that Lord Shiva turned himself into a Linga. There are 12 Jyotirlingas in all.
What is the list of Maharashtra Jyotirlinga?
Here is the list of five Jyotirlingas in Maharashtra:
- Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga – Located near Nashik. Source of River Godavari. One Linga representing Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.
- Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga – Located near Pune. Source of River Bhima. Beautiful hill station.
- Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga – Located near Aurangabad. As powerful as visiting all 12 Jyotirlingas.
- Aundha Nagnath Jyotirlinga – Located near Nanded. Believed to be the first Jyotirlinga on earth.
- Parli Vaijnath Jyotirlinga – Located near Latur. Believed to solve health problems.
What are the Jyotirlinga near Shirdi?
The Jyotirlinga near Shirdi are Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga (Around 120 km) and Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga (Around 100 km).
What are the Jyotirlinga near Aurangabad?
The Jyotirlinga near Aurangabad is Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga (Around 30 km).
What are the Jyotirlinga near Pune?
The Jyotirlinga near Pune is Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga (Around 110 km and 3 hrs).
Tour packages for Jyotirlinga in Maharashtra
Maharashtra Jyotirlinga Tour is considered to be a very sacred pilgrimage and thousands of pilgrims travel to these holy places every year.
Here is a list of some of the Maharashtra Jyotirlinga Tour Packages:
- Panch Jyotirlinga Tour from Pune
- Panch Jyotirlinga Tour from Mumbai
- Panch Jyotirlinga Tour from Shirdi
How to reach each of the 5 Maharashtra Jyotirlinga?
How to reach Aundha Nagnath Jyotirlinga? – Get down at Nanded railway station and take a bus/taxi to Aundha.
How to reach Parli Vaijnath Jyotirlinga? – Get down at Nanded railway station and take a bus/taxi to Parli.
How to reach Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga? – Get down at Nashik railway station and take a bus/taxi to Trimbak.
How to reach Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga? – Get down at Pune railway station and take a bus/taxi to Bhimashankar.
How to reach Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga? – Get down at Aurangabad railway station and take a bus/taxi to Verul.
Maharashtra 5 Jyotirlinga in Hindi
- त्रंबकेश्वर मंदिर
- ग्रीष्नेश्वर मंदिर
- भिमशंकर मंदिर
- औंधा नागनाथ मंदिर
- परली वैजनाथ मंदिर