The five Jyotirlingas in Maharashtra are Bhimashankar, Trimbakeshwar, Grishneshwar, Nagnath in Aundha and Parli Vaijnath. These 5 jyotirlingas together are also known as Pancha Jyotirlingas. They are dedicated to Lord Shiva.
If you are planning to visit these places, call us on 8864009100 or e-mail us on firstname.lastname@example.org for best tour packages. You can also take a look at our tour package by clicking on below button.
This guide explains the significance of the 5 Jyotirling in Maharashtra, map, travel itinerary, tour packages and frequently asked questions about panch jyotirlinga.
How many Jyotirlingas are there in Maharashtra?
There are five jyotirlingas in Maharashtra. Here is the list:
1. TRIMBAKESHWAR JYOTIRLINGA, NASHIK
It is believed that Trimbakeshwar is the holiest place of Hindu mythology. The most unique feature of this temple is that the Shiva Linga here has three faces of the three almighty Gods of Hindu mythology – Brahma, Vishnu, and Maheshwara. River Godavari originates from here and anyone is believed to have acquired salvation, once he or she visits this place.
2. BHIMASHANKAR JYOTIRLINGA, PUNE
Lord Shiva appears as “Ardhanareeshwara” in this temple. River Bhima originates from Bhimashankar. The river is considered sacred because it is believed that the river is actually the perspiration of Lord Shiva after he defeated the demon Tripurasura. A holy dip in the river is believed to relieve one of their sins.
3. GRISHNESHWAR JYOTIRLINGA, AURANGABAD
Located very near to the Ellora caves, Grishneshwar temple is the last of the 12 Jyotirlingas. For devotees who undertake the Jyotirlinga pilgrimage, a visit to this temple completes their journey to the holy places of Shiva. One can reap the benefits of worshiping all the 12 Jyotirlingas by just visiting this one temple.
4. PARLI VAIJNATH JYOTIRLINGA, MAHARASHTRA
This temple is located in a village that is home to mountains and thick forests rich in medicinal herbs. Since the Parli Vaijnath temple is amidst such a healing atmosphere, the Lord here is addressed as Vaidhyanath. Devotees are allowed to touch the Shiva Lingam during worship and this helps in healing and reaping various health benefits.
5. AUNDHA NAGNATH JYOTIRLINGA, MAHARASHTRA
It is believed that the Aundha Nagnath Temple was built by Yudhisthira, the eldest Pandav, while they were in an exile for 14 years. Devotees believe that by praying at this temple, one can safeguard themselves against all poisons.
Jyotirlinga Itinerary for Maharashtra
Maharashtra Itinerary: Bhimashankar, Ahmednagar 1N, Aundha Nagnath, Parli Vaijnath 1N, Grishneshwar, Aurangabad 1N, Trimbakeshwar.
Day 1: Mumbai – Bhimashankar – Ahmednagar
- Early morning departure from Mumbai.
- Proceed to Bhimashankar and complete Darshan.
- Proceed to Ahmednagar.
- Overnight stay in Ahmednagar.
Day 2: Ahmednagar – Aundha – Parli
- Early morning travel to Nagnath and complete Darshan.
- Proceed to Parli Vaijnath and complete Darshan.
- Overnight stay in Parli.
Day 3: Parli – Grishneshwar – Aurangabad
- Early morning travel to Grishneshwar Temple and complete Darshan.
- Overnight stay in Aurangabad.
Day 4: Aurangabad – Trimbakeshwar – Mumbai
- Early morning travel to Trimbakeshwar Temple and complete Darshan.
- After darshan, proceed to Mumbai.
Jyotirlinga in Maharashtra Map
List of all 12 Jyotirlingas in India
- Kashi Vishwanath Jyotirlinga located in Varanasi. One of the most famous temples in India.
- Somnath temple located in Veraval, Gujarat. Located on the seashore.
- Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga located near Nashik in Maharashtra. Famous for Kaal Sarp Dosh Puja.
- Omkareshwar Jyotirlinga located in Madhya Pradesh near Mandhata on the banks of River Narmada.
- Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga located in the holy city of Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh. Famous for Bhasmarati.
- Grishneshwar temple located near Aurangabad in Maharashtra. Located right next to Ellora Caves.
- Kedarnath Jyotirlinga located in the Himalayan region of Uttarakhand. Also famous as one of the char dham.
- Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga located near Pune in Maharashtra. Source of River Bhima.
- Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga located in Srisailam in Andhra Pradesh.
- Nageshwar Jyotirlinga located near Dwarka in Gujarat. Nagnath in Maharashtra is also considered as the Nageshwar Jyotirlinga.
- Parli Vaidyanath Jyotirlinga located in Maharashtra. Also, the one in Jharkhand is considered as the Vaidyanath Jyotirlinga.
- Rameshwaram Jyotirlinga located in Tamil Nadu. Also part of the bigger char dham yatra.
Frequently Asked Questions about Five Jyotirlinga in Maharashtra
There are five Jyotirlinga in Maharashtra. 1. Trimbakeshwar, 2. Grishneshwar, 3. Bhimashankar, 4. Aundha Nagnath and 5. Parli Vaijnath. In total there are twelve jyotirlingas in India.
To cover all five jyotirlingas in Maharashtra, you can start your trip either from Mumbai or Pune. Both the cities are well connected by rail, road and air. It will take you four days to cover all the places.
Jyotirlinga is considered as a true or Swayambhu form of Lord Shiva. Swayambhu Linga means that Lord Shiva turned himself into a Linga. There are 12 Jyotirlingas in all.
The Jyotirlinga near Shirdi are Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga (Around 120 km) and Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga (Around 100 km).
The Jyotirlinga near Aurangabad is Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga (Around 30 km).
The Jyotirlinga near Pune is Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga (Around 110 km and 3 hrs).
Get down at Nanded railway station and take a bus/taxi to Parli.
Get down at Nashik railway station and take a bus/taxi to Trimbak.
Get down at Pune airport or railway station and take a bus/taxi to Bhimashankar.
Get down at Aurangabad airport or railway station and take a bus/taxi to Verul.