Narayan Nagbali is a 3-day Hindu ritual that is performed at Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga near Nasik. The Narayan Bali is performed to fulfill the unsatisfied desires of dead ancestral souls and the Nag Bali is performed to get rid of the curse caused by killing a cobra.
Narayan Nagbali follows the same ritual as the Hindu funeral.
During this pooja the priest uses an artificial body of wheat flour and chants mantras. These mantras will invoke the bad omen or souls that have certain unfulfilled wishes.
This ritual helps them to posses the artificial body of wheat flour. Also, the funeral releases the family from any sin and sends the soul to another world peacefully. It helps the soul to achieve the highest state of salvation from the cycle of human birth as well as death. This ritual will relieve the soul of a dead person who have faced an abnormal death.
Who should perform Narayan Nagbali?
Here’s the list of people who can do Narayan Nagbali:
- Narayan Nagbali Pooja gets of the problems like Financial problems, Family health issues, bad patch in Business, marriage problems and education hindrances.
- This pooja takes place to get rid of the curse from wife, father, mother, brother, corpse and even small churn-staff. (Patnishap, Pitrushap, Matrushap, Bhatrushap, Pratashap and Matulshap).
- This pooja takes place for 3 days by married couple to lead a better and peaceful life.
- This ritual fulfils the desires of the ancestors souls and removes negative effects. The soul tries to get in contact with the family members directly or indirectly and hence the ritual intends to provide peace to the soul.
What are the benefits of doing Narayan Nagbali?
Here’s the list of benefits of Narayan Nagbali:
- Narayan Nagbali is a very important pooja that helps the ancestors of past 7 generations to attain peace and salvation.
- This pooja is also very helpful for the childbirth and eliminates any harm from ghosts or bad omen.
- It will also help to progress and attain success and progress in the professional life.
- This pooja is very auspicious and even important than the Chaardhaam yaatra Pitruseva.
- This pooja also helps to discharge any trouble due to the premature death of the family member. It will free the family from any of the curse from a dead person in the family.
When should I perform Narayana Nagbali?
The dates of the Puja are taken out on the basis of the Nakshatra. There ae approximately 2-3 Muhurat per month.
It is beneficial to perform this rite during the Putrada Ekadashi. It takes place on the banks of a river or any other sacred place. This is a three day ritual during Ashlesha Nakshatra days. Devotees can also perform this pooja on the 7th day from the no moon day.
It should not take place during the Ekadasi, Grahan days, Ashtami and Dasami.
The upcoming dates of the Puja are:
- September 30th
- October 7th
How to perform Narayan Nagbali?
Here’s how to perform Narayan Nagbali:
- Reach Trimbakeshwar the evening before the Puja starts.
- On the first day of this ritual, take a holy dip in the Kushavarta. After the bath ear completely new clothes. Men should wear new Dhoti and women should wear new sarees.
- After that, go to the Kushawarth Tirtharaj in Trayambakeshwar with a coconut, 5 supari and Dakshina and perform the Prathna.
- For those whose Dad is alive, you don’t have to do the ‘Mundan’ or make go bald. For those who don’t have your dad alive, you have to get your hair chopped.
- For performing the Sankalp, you have to go to the ‘Shamshaan’ present behind the Shivji Temple on Trimbakeshwar. There are preparations made to perform the Vidhaan there.
- After the sankalp, a puja is performed to worship 5 Kalash.
- After that worship 6Murtis of Bal Gopal, Vishnu, Bramha, Shankar, Yumraj and Tath Purush.
- Then perform the Havan.
- Then perform the 11 Pindh Shraddh for Lord Vishnu and 5 Pind Shraddh for Lord Bramha and the other 5 Gods. In total you have to do 16 Pind Shraddhs.
- We make a nice Pind to perform the Puja. While performing the Puja, we worship it. We pray that erases away all the Pitru Dosh of the family.
- After that, offer one of these Pinds to the crows for them to eat.
- After that make a doll of a human and worship it with all the Mantras and rules, placing it on top of a coconut. After the puja is performed, declare it to be dead and burn it.
- After that, perform its Dashakriya Vidhaan like any other human being.
- Repeat the Mantra- ‘Om Namah Bhagvate Vasudeva’ throughout the day.
- On the next day, again after taking a bath at the Kund, wear the same cloth you wore the day before.
- After that, again go to the Shamshaan.
- Then perform the Sapindh Shradh (11 Vidhi and 12 Vidhi Shradh) of the Human Doll that was worshipped and burnt the day before.
- After performing the Shradh we make a ‘Pratima’ of a Nag or a Snake on a Flour or ‘Ata’.
- Again we worship it and then declare it to be dead. After that, burn this as well.
- The Snake or Nag is believed to have 8 Doshas. Perform these 8 Doshas puja plus the Nag Pratima Puja. In total perform the Puja for 9 Doshas. After that end the Vidhaan.
- After that, spend the day constantly saying ‘Om Namah Bhagvate Namah’.
- On the third day, Ganesh Pooja is performed so that devotees can start all the good things going forward.
- You have to bring a Gold Nag Partima or Murti and worship it.
- After this the Narayan Nagalika Vidhaan is complete.
- The rest of the day you have to continuously say the ‘Om Namah Bhagvate Namah’ mantra.
What are the materials required for this pooja?
Here is the list of materials required for Narayan Nagbali:
New clothes and Dakshina in form of money, Golden statue of Snake which should be minimum 1gm. It is important to bring the nag (snake) statue made up of gold as silver nag is not acceptable. It is also important to donate this statue of snake after the vidhi (ritual).
The daksina includes food arrangements for 2 persons and all the Pooja Samagri. It is important to bring new white clothes that includes napkin, gamcha and dhoti for the pooja. And the ladies should have saree, blouse and other necessary things.
Where to perform Narayan Nagbali?
Narayan Nagbali takes place at Trimbakeshwar where all the devotees perform different rituals and tirtha shraddha of the departed soul and give Brahman bhojan. It is also advised to perform maharudra or lakhurudra at the Trimbakeshwar. Many dharamshalas that are within walking distance from the main temple. Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga is one of the 5 Jyotirlingas located in the state of Maharashtra (Learn about the others).
Before you begin with the pooja, it is very important to take a holy dip Kushavarta Kund. This puja requires special dates to perform it. There are some days that are not suitable for this pooja.
What is the cost of performing Narayan Nagbali?
Narayan Nagbali is a 3-day pooja where you require proper accommodation and also a purohit to perform the pooja. One Brahmin or Pandit performs the Puja. But more Pandits are required for doing the arrangements of the Puja.
- The cost of performing the Puja would cost around 7,000 – 8,000 rupees. This excludes the new clothes and the Gold Pratima. These are to be brought by you.
- The amount of the Puja includes the Dakshina of the Pandits and the cost of the Samugri.
- The fare of the most basic rooms costs Rs. 500 per day.
- The cost of food per plate is Rs. 100. The food is prepared on the hotel where you would be staying. At 100 rupees you will be getting Dal, Rice, Roti and Sabji.
Frequently asked questions
Is it compulsory to get head shaved before the Narayan Nagbali Pooja?
If the father of the person performing the pooja expired, only then one needs to get their head shaved before the pooja.
Do I have to fast for all 3 days of the Narayan Nagbali Pooja?
You need to fast only till the time the pooja takes place on any given day. You can eat after the pooja is complete for the day.
How long is the Narayan Nagbali Pooja performed on each day?
Although the pooja takes place for 3 days, the actual duration of the pooja is only 3 hours per day.
What dress should i wear for Narayan Nagbali Pooja?
You should wear a new dress on Day-1 and must wear the same dress for the 3 days (after washing it daily). White Dhoti is the dress that Men should prefer and Saree (except green and black colors) is the dress that Women should prefer.