Ganapathi Homam is a ritual dedicated to Lord Ganesha, performed to seek his blessings and achieve success before imparting on any venture. As per Hinduism, the grace of Lord Ganesha can remove obstacles in life and fulfill any task that you are undertaking.
The Elephant-faced God, Lord Ganesha is the Supreme Being who removes obstacles from one’s plan or a venture in life. He is Vighnaraja or Vignaharta by many of his devotees. Also, he is important for his Siddhi (success), Buddhi (wisdom and intelligence) and Riddhi (prosperity). He is the first one that the devotees honour among all Gods in most of the worship rituals and services. The God is also famous as the God or Patron of Arts and Sciences.
Who should perform Ganapathi Homam?
The main purpose of Ganapathi Homam is to remove any obstacles in any venture undertaken by the devotee. Devotees believe that by doing this ritual, the venture begins and successfully runs in a smooth manner.
Here’s who should do Ganapathi Homam:
- People seeking success at the start of any business, work life, student life, marriage, Housewarming (Griha Pravesh) and even Naming ceremonies (Naamkaran).
- People who are specifically affected by Kethu Dosha. Lord Ganesha is the planetary overlord of Kethu. Hence, one should perform the Ganapathi Homam to please Lord Ganesha and to remove the malefic effects of the Dosha.
What are the benefits of performing Ganapathi Homam?
Here is the list of benefits of performing Ganapathi Homam:
- The devotee can get rid of all the obstacles and problems that he or she might encounter in their new ventures of life, both professional and personal.
- Performing the Ganapathi Homam grants wealth and solves wealth related issues in a devotee’s life. Lord Ganesha is believed to be the governor of the Mooladhara chakra, which signifies material prosperity.
- Performing the Ganapathi Homam enlightens the spiritual mind and makes one conscious of the higher realms of existence. Lord Ganesha is the gatekeeper of the Sushumna Nadi, inside the Mooladhara Chakra.
- One can achieve prosperity, health and a happy domestic life by worshiping Ganesha once a year by conducting the Homam.
- The Ganapathi Homam also gives the benefit of good health to the devotees who might suffer from ailments like anxiety, depression and injuries sustained during accidents.
- People also believe that worshiping Lord Ganesha ensures success and wins over mortal enemies.
What are the best days to do Ganapathi Homam?
The days of Sankashti Chaturthi of every month and Vinayaka Chaturthi are considered as extremely auspicious days for this homam.
Here are the Ganapathi Homam dates for 2019:
|April||22-04-2019 (Monday)||11:25 AM, Apr 22 to 11:04 AM, Apr 23|
|May||22-05-2019 (Wednesday)||01:40 AM, May 22 to 02:41 AM May 23|
|June||20-06-2019 (Thursday)||05:08 PM, Jun 20 to 07:08 PM, Jun 21|
|July||20-07-2019 (Saturday)||09:14 AM, Jul 20 to 11:39 AM, Jul 21|
|August||19-08-2019 (Monday)||01:13 AM, Aug 19 to 03:30 AM, Aug 20|
|September||17-09-2019 (Tuesday)||04:33 PM, Sep 17 to 06:12 PM, Sep 18|
|October||17-10-2019 (Thursday)||06:48 AM, Oct 17 to 07:29 AM, Oct 18|
|November||15-11-2019 (Friday)||07:46 PM, Nov 15 to 07:15 PM, Nov 16|
|December||15-12-2019 (Sunday)||07:18 AM, Dec 15 to 05:34 AM, Dec 16|
Here’s when to perform Ganapathi Homam:
- The Homam should take place early in the morning, before sunrise and the Poornahuti (the last offering signifying the end of the Homam) should take place at sunrise.
- The 3rd day of Navratri which is Tritiya is also a great day to perform Ganapathi Homam.
What is the procedure for performing Ganapathi Homam?
Here’s how to do Ganapathi Homam at home:
Mantras for asking for cooperation and permission from Lord Ganesha and other Gods to perform the Homam.
The procedure involves sipping of holy water for inner purification of body and soul.
- Vighneswara Pooja
The Pooja involves worshiping Lord Ganesha requesting him to remove all the obstacles in the Pooja.
- Pranayama and Sankalpam
This involves taking a vow to please Lord Ganapathi.
- Kalasa Shuddhi
This process is for holy water that one sprinkles on oneself.
- Agni Prathistahapana
One should start the fire inside the Homam Kund with a camphor.
- Dikpaalaka Pooja
The Dikpaalaka Pooja along with the Panchopachara Pooja also takes place for the Lord. The priest pours the preliminary offerings into the Havan Kund with the invocation of the God. Then he chants several Ganapathi Mantras in front of the Kund. After the Poornahuti, the ritual of Udvasana (concluding the ritual) takes place.
What are the materials required for this Homam?
The basic materials required for Ganapathi Homam are Ghee, Modhaka, and the Durva Grass. The Purnahuti, which is the last offering should consist of Coconut, Banana, Honey, Sugarcane, Ghee, Modhaka, Jaggery, and Puffed Rice. Besides these offerings, one must possess a Homa Kunda (can consist of bricks).
Additional materials required are Karpoor, Kumkum, Sandalwood paste (Chandan), Haldi (Turmeric), flowers, Theertha Vessel, spoons, vessels for the Ashtadravya, and Conch.
Where to perform Ganapathi Homam?
A devotee can perform Ganapathi Homam by himself or can arrange a Pandit. Since the procedure and the rituals are simple, this pooja can take place at home or office too. Most of the temples, irrespective of the main deity, offer the seva of Ganapathi Homam as their service.
However, one should enquire and book the Homam in advance during the festive season and on auspicious days like Vinayaka Chaturthi.
What is the cost of Ganapathi Homam?
The cost of performing ganapathi homam varies but is usually around ₹1000 to ₹3000. The cost includes the materials required and dakshina for pandit. It is better to take help of your family pandit or ask friends for recommendations of a good pandit.
If you have any questions about Ganapathi Homam, please leave your comment below and we will get back to you within one hour.