Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy temple in the West Godavari district of Andhra, Palakollu is a grand temple of Lord Shiva that is one of the Pancharama temples. The presiding deity here is Lord Shiva whose form was established by Lord Vishnu. Locally this temple is also famous as Pedda Gopuram.
What is the history of Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple?
According to history, Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy temple was constructed during the reign of Chalukya Bhima of Chalukya dynasty in the 9th century. Sri Velupathi designed it’s Prakara during the 10th century. The architecture is a clear reflection of the art practised during the Chalukya dynasty reigns.
During the 14th century, Sri Alladu Reddy built the Gopuram. During the 17th century, there was construction of Kalyana mantapam (choultry) and Ashtha Bhuja Lakshmi Narayanaswamy alaya.
What is the significance of Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple?
Significance of Ramalingeswara Swamy is that the Shivalingam at the temple is the tallest one and has a unique milky white color. The shiva lingam which is popular as moola virat is visible from all four sides of the sanctum sanctorum or garbha griha.
In addition one can also view several other gods like the Sun God, Devi Parvati and Lakshmi, Veera Bhadra, Kanaka Durga, Nataraja, Shankara, Radha Krishna from all four sides.
Locally there is a saying that staying for a day at Ksheerama is equal to staying at Varanasi.
The temple has 72 pillars made of black stones.
Timings of Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple
Here are the timings of Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple:
|Open||6:00 am||8:00 pm|
How to reach Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple?
Here’s how to reach Palakollu Temple:
- Road: buses are frequently available from all the parts of Andhra Pradesh moving towards Bhimavaram to Palakollu.
- Rail: trains are also very easily available on a regular basis from the Vijaywada railway junction.
- Air: The nearest aiport is Vijawada from where regular flights are available.
Where to stay near Palakollu?
Some of the places where one can stay near Palakollu are:
- Palavalli Boutique Resorts which is 12km from Palakollu town centre has a great location where guests enjoy their peace and solitude.
- Falcon Nest Hotel behind the coastal city centre at Bhimavaram is a grand place to check in.
What are some temples near Palakollu?
Some of the temples near palakollu are:
- Sri Someswara Temple which is 117 km from Vijaywada is one of the Pancharama Kshetras where one can visit to offer prayers to the Lord. Devotees also believe that Lord Chandra installed the main Lingam.
- Sri Venkateswara Swamy Temple is another pilgrim place to visit during this trip. It is on the top of the Seshachala hill in Tirumala.
- Shri Lingaraj Temple is a famous Hindu temple in honour of lord Harihara, a form of lord Shiva and is one of the oldest and largest temples in Bhubaneswar, the capital of the East Indian state of Odisha (formerly Orissa). The temple is the most prominent landmark of the Bhubaneswar city.