Baba Baidyanath Dham or Baidyanath Jyotirlinga Temple is one of the 12 jyotirlingas in India. This temple of Shiva is in Deoghar in Santhal Parganas of Jharkhand. According to beliefs, the light of Jyotirlingam is the light of cosmos which is realized by the power of the soul as a whole.
What is the history of Baba Baidyanath Dham?
According to the history of Baba Baidyanath Dham, myth and legend depict an interesting story behind the building of the Dham. During the Treta Yuga according to Shiva Purana, Ravana, the demon king wanted to have Lord Shiva’s abode in his capital permanently to make it safe from invasions.
So he meditated every day to please the Lord. The Lord found it impressive and asked him to carry his lingam to Lanka but with one condition that the journey from Mt.Kailash to Lanka should not stop in between.
And if so happened then wherever the lingam fell there it shall reside forever. The Gods fearing that this would make Ravana invincible acted against this plan. So it was after many troubles and planning that Lord Vishnu tricked Ravana and brought the Lingam back to Earth where it sat permanently. So thus the 12 jyotirlingas story begun and each had one unique legend behind its consecration.
What is the significance of Baba Baidyanath Dham?
The significance of Baba Baidyanath Dham is that the main temple is beyond historical dates. Devotees visit it since the age of Rama, the king of Ayodhya. The top contains three ascending shaped gold vessels that are compactly set, which were donated by Maharaja of Gidhaur, Raja Puran Singh.
- Besides these pitcher shaped vessels, there is a ‘PUNCHSULA’ (Five knives in a Trident shape), which is rare.
- The lingam is of a cylindrical form about 5 inches in diameter and projects about 4 inches from the centre of a large slab of basalt.
- Devotees also believe that Shiva first turned himself into a Jyotirlinga on the night of the Aridra Nakshatra, thus the special reverence for the Jyotirlinga.
- The jyotirlinga is the supreme partless reality, out of which Shiva partly appears. The jyotirlinga shrines thus are places where Shiva appeared as a fiery column of light.
What are the timings of Baba Baidyanath Dham?
Here are the timings of Baba Baidyanath Dham:
|Darshan starts||4:00 PM|
|Puja (Shodashopachar)||4:00 PM – 3:30 PM|
|Shringar Puja||6:00 PM onwards|
|Temple closes||9:00 PM|
What are the festivals celebrated at Baba Baidyanth Dham?
Shrawan mela is one very famous festival celebrated at Baba Baidyanath Dham. During the month of Shrawan, lakhs of devotees throng the Baba Baidyanath temple. The Shrawan mela is very important and devotees celebrate it with much splendour and festivity. It continues throughout the whole Shrawan month for 30 days.
How to reach Baba Baidyanath Dham?
Here’s how to reach Baba Baidyanath Dham:
- Air: Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Airport, Patna, located around 272 km away is the nearest airport.
- Rail: Two railway stations namely Baidyanathdham (BDME) and Deoghar (DGHR) help in the visitors with regular trains.
- Road: This area connects well by road to cities like Kolkata, Patna and Ranchi.
Where to stay near Baba Baidyanath Dham?
Some of the places where one can stay near Baba Baidyanath Dham are:
- Hotel Mahadev Palace on B.L.C Road at Castairs Town is a relaxing place suited with great amenities that attract tourists.
- Clarks Inn Amrapali which is 1.2 km from Baba Baidyanath Temple is another comfortable place to stay. It offers great multi cuisines that the guests savour. It provides guests with many luxuries and efficient services.
What are some places to visit near Baba Baidyanath Temple?
Some of the places that one can visit near Baba Baidyanath Temple are:
- Trikuta Parvata, collectively famous as Trikutachal, is a combination of three main peaks on the hill, which are at the height of around 2,470 ft. The site is at a distance of around 10 km from Deoghar on the way to Dumka.
- Naulakha Mandir is at a distance of around 2 km from Baba Baidyanath Temple. It has a similar architecture of Ramakrishna Temple in Belur. The shrine encompasses the beautiful idols of Radha and Krishna.
- Satsang Ashram is a holy place where the followers of Sri Sri Thakur Anukulachandra gather to worship. The Ashram also has a zoo and a museum in its complex.
What are some other temples to visit in Bihar?
- Mahabodhi Temple: The Mahabodhi Temple is an ancient Buddhist Temple in Bodh Gaya. Bodh Gaya is about 96 km from Patna, Bihar, India. Mahabodhi literally means the Great Awakening and it is said that Buddha has attained enlightenment in this location. This temple is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Vishnupad Temple: Vishnupad Mandir is located in Gaya which is 100 km away from Patna, the capital of Bihar and is one of the most attractive temples. The temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and it is believed that Lord Rama, along with his wife, Sita, visited this temple.
- Patan Devi Temple: This temple is one of the oldest and the most sacred temples of Patna, the capital city of Bihar state in India. This ancient temple, which was originally called Maa Sarvanand Kari Patneshwari, is believed to be the abode of the goddess Durga. The temple is regarded as one among the 51 Siddha Shakti Peethas of the country.
- Mahavir Mandir: Mahavir Mandir Patna is located near Patna Junction and is devoted to Lord Hanuman. Thousands of devotees come here each day to offer prayer and seek the blessing of Lord Hanuman. It is also called “Manokamana Temple” as it is said that each and every wish of devotees is granted.
- Jagannath Temple Ranchi
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, the Baidyanath Temple is open all 365 days of the year.
The entry to the Baidyanath Temple is free of cost.
No, there is no online darshan facility available.
No. All electronic gadgets are prohibited in the temple premises (viz. mobile, camera, laptop). Free storage of the same is available at the entrance of the temple.
No. No such facilities are available. Although, a wheelchair can be made available upon request.
No. No such facilities are available.
The months of November to February is very ideal to visit the Baidyanath and the other temples located in the area.
The summers at Bihar start from March and continues until June. The summers here can be very hot. Temperatures during the daytime often go up to 45 º C.
In Bihar, winters start in November and continue until February. The temperatures during this time are around 20 º C. The weather during this time is cool and pleasant.
Can any priest doing ” Kalsarpa dosh ” Puja here ? What is the cost of Puja & how much it will take time ?
How will I connect ?
gopala bn says
Can we have sparsh darshan in baba baidyanath Dham means can we touch the shiv ling. if its yes, what is the timings?
Kajal karia says
Place near baidyanth temple to visit
नीरज कुमार गुप्ता says
गया बिहार से बेस्ट एण्ड फास्ट रोड चार्ट वैद्यनाथ नाम झारखण्ड जाने के लिये क्या है ?
Amrutlal Brahmkshatri says
Please let us know whether Saree wearing is compulsory for women for Darsan entry at Baba Baijnath Jyotirlinga?
RAMESH KADEMANI says
Om Namaha shivaya.
This is Ramedh from Bangalore. After visiting Patna want to proceed to Baidyanath Dham Temple.
Am Please advice me to plan a visit.
Is Bus available from Deoghar to Rajgarh.
I’m M.Prakash from Chennai. I want to visit Baidyanath Dham Temple. Please advice me to plan a visit.
A Bandyopafhyay says
বৈদ্যনাথজীকে কি নিজে পূজা করতে পারব?
Sutapa Bhattacharyya says
I am very much fond of lord shiva.i have a dream to visit dwadas jyotirling.i want to give puja with all my dedication to lord shiva there.how to give puja best way to him.please send me details.
Dr.R K Choudhary says
The pilgrimage to Deoghar, tha place where the temple of Baba Baidyanath dham is situated is one of the best places for Puja & mental satisfaction .
Subod kumar saha says
Can you help me by provide this information, that how to calculate baba boydonath pujas day as per planet?