Saraswati Puja Date for 2020 in India – Wednesday, January 29, 2020.
Saraswati Puja is considered to be the most auspicious puja in Indian culture. Goddess Saraswati is the goddess of knowledge and the sign of purity and peace. This puja plays a very important role in India’s culture of respect for learning. Saraswati puja is also popular as Vasant Panchami. Moreover, a typical image of Goddess Saraswati shows her sitting on a lotus flower or riding a swan. She is a tribute to power, confidence, and knowledge.
Saraswati Puja Overview
|Dates||Wednesday, January 29, 2020|
|Related Festival||Vasant Panchami, Diwali, Navratri|
|Significance||Goddess of Skills and Knowledge|
Significance Of Saraswati Puja in a Child’s Life
Children are encouraged to worship Maa Saraswati because of the educational value she holds. Here is why we should educate about the significance of Saraswati Puja in a child’s life –
- Knowledge is Wealth: It is only through knowledge that an individual can conquer the world, which is why much emphasize has been given to knowledge and wisdom in the life of a student.
- Art and Music: The Goddess encourages all sorts of arts and music apart from educational knowledge. A child should seek the blessings of this goddess in order to excel in all spheres of life.
- Peace: Goddess Saraswati is seen on the peaceful lake of the mind, offering the peace of silent meditation, which is necessary for today’s fast-paced life.
- Following Traditions: Doing Saraswati Puja helps a child to stay in touch with the customs and traditions despite gaining knowledge of the world.
- Being Spiritual: Apart from engaging in all sorts of arts and music, students learn to become spiritual and respectful. They learn qualities like team-building, leadership, and corporation.
Why do we celebrate Saraswati Puja?
- Saraswati puja is celebrated for knowledge and is auspicious for students.
- Vasant Panchami is also an auspicious day to begin new work, to marry or to shift to a new home. The yellow colour is significant on this day.
- Devotees also worship Saraswati as the water deity who has purifying powers.
- The festival of Saraswati pooja is also an occasion of social celebrations. This puja is very common in eastern India.
- Further, on this day all the educational institutes worship the Goddess with lots of happiness.
What Goddess Saraswati Symbolizes?
The scripture she holds are the Vedas and represent knowledge, while the japa mala, or beads, represents discipline and concentration.
|Her Four Arms||Her front arms depict the Goddess’ activity in the material realm while the back arms depict the activity in the spiritual realm.|
|Stringed Instrument, or Veena||The veena represents the arts and serves as a reminder to live in harmony with others and the world.|
|Book or Vedas||Represents the Truth or pure knowledge|
|Stringed Beads, or Japa Mala||Represents discipline, concentration, and meditation|
|White Clothing or Sari||Symbolic of purity|
|Lotus||A white lotus represents purity and knowledge.|
|Peacock||The peacock represents beauty and dance. Peacocks can also represent vanity and indecision.|
|Swan||The beautiful swan that is seen with the Goddess represents beauty. The swan is believed to have the ability to separate water from milk with its beak. This symbolizes how we should chose between right and wrong.|
Who should perform Saraswati Puja?
- People who want to develop creativity, confidence and improve their skills should perform Saraswati pooja.
- Professionals can also perform this puja to gain success.
- Students perform this puja to increase their skills and talents in various fields.
- Performing Saraswati pooja also improves memory power and communication skills.
What are the benefits of performing Saraswati Puja?
Here is a list of benefits of performing Saraswati Puja:
- One gets the blessings of Goddess Saraswati. This helps in gaining knowledge and wisdom in one’s life.
- This puja also fills one’s life with lots of positivity and removes negativity.
- It also provides strength and empowerment in an individual’s life.
- After performing this puja, a person becomes more talented and skilled.
When should I perform Saraswati Puja?
- The 10th day of ‘Dussehra‘ or ‘Navratri‘ is included in the celebrations of Saraswati Puja.
- Devotees also also perform Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami. Vasant Panchmi also has other names like Saraswati Panchami and Shri Panchami.
- Also, many astrologists consider it an Abujha day.
- Purvahna Kala decides the day on which Vasant Panchami falls. It is the time between the sunrise and midday.
How to do Saraswati Puja at home?
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Here is how to do Saraswati Pooja:
- Early morning bath
The process of Saraswati pooja starts with an early morning bath. This bathing water is medicinal as it contains neem and tulsi leaves in it. Then, apply turmeric paste on the body and then perform the puja.
- Wear White or Yellow Clothes
Wear white or yellow clothes after the bath. Also, the place where the puja takes place should be clean. Then place the idol of Goddess Saraswati.
- Place the idol and Kalash
After placing the idol, clean the place and decorate it with garlands and flowers. Also, place the books and musical instrumental near the idol. Then, one should place the Kalash.
- Fill Kalash with water
Fill the Kalash with water and keep mango leaves on its edges. Keep Durva grass and betel nut on the top of Kalash along with the flower.
- Recite Mantras
It is considered very important to keep the idol of Lord Ganesha near the Goddess Saraswati. Then there should be the proper and correct reciting of the mantras.
- Light lamps
Then, light the lamps and incense sticks.
- Idol immersion
Finally, on the next day, immerse the idol of Goddess Saraswati into water.
What are the Saraswati Puja Mantras?
Here are the mantras that one should utter while performing Saraswati Pooja:
Saraswati Puspanjali Mantra
Om Bhadro Kallyoi Namo Nityang
Saraswatyoi Namo Namah
Veda Vedanta Vedanga
Ebacho esso swachandana
Om Oing Shree Shree Saraswatoi Namoh
Saraswati Pranam Mantra
Om Jay Jay Debi Characharo Sare
Kuchojugo Shobhito Mukta Hare
Veena Ranjito Pustaka Haste
Bhagobati Bharati Debi Namohstute
Om Saraswati Maha Bhage
Vidya Kamolo Lochone
Vidyang dehi Namohastute
What are the materials required for Saraswati Puja?
The materials required in Saraswati Pooja are:
|Samagri/ Things required||Quantity|
|Saffron||as per requirement|
|Gulal – Holi Colours||100 grams of each color|
|Turmeric powder||100 grams|
|Idol of Saraswati||1|
|Coins||as per your requirement and facility.|
|Fruits||Mixed Fruits as per your requirement|
Other requirements are:
- Match Box
- Ganga Jal
- Lotus and Yellow flowers like Marigold
- Kamal Gatte
- Clean red cloth
- Piper Beetle
- Cotton Wicks
- Marigold Flowers Garland
What to wear on Saraswati Puja?
- It is very important to wear only Yellow clothes on Saraswati Puja because this colour holds great significance for this Puja.
- Women can wear traditional dresses like Saree or Salwar.
- Men can wear traditional dresses like Dhoti.
What is the cost of performing Saraswati Puja?
Saraswati Puja with the prescribed materials ranges from Rs. 2000 to Rs.4000.
If you have any questions related to Sraswati Puja, please leave a comment below and we will reply within an hour.