Salihundam is a village in the Srikakulam district of Andhra Pradesh. It was known as Salivatika, which means rice emporium. Salihundam lies on top of a hill on the south bank of the Vamsadhara River. It features ruins of a number of Buddhist stupas and a huge monastic complex on a hillock amidst scenic surroundings. It is about 9 miles from Srikakulam.
Salihundam is famous for numerous Buddhist stupas. These were discovered by Gidugu Venkata Rama Murthy, in the year 1919. Salihundam shows evidence that during the 2nd and 3rd centuries, Buddhism thrived in the local area of it. Therefore, it has become one of the main Buddhist excavation sites.
What is the history of Salihundam?
- There are numerous Buddhist stupas on a hill in Salihundam. These hills are present amid picturesque surroundings.
- Gidugu Venkata Rama Murthy erected this Stupa in the year 1919.
- During digging performed by the state authorities, four stupas, Relic caskets, and architectural shrines were discovered.
- One of the main Buddhist excavations stands there as an evidence that the religion thrived at this place during 2nd to 3rd century.
What is the significance of Salihundam?
The significance of Salihundam is that it holds a lot of archaeological importance owing to the existence of ancient monuments. There are a number of Buddhist stupas and a huge monastic complex. These are present amidst scenic surroundings. here’s distinct evidence of the presence of the ‘Vajrayana’ cult. Buddhism spread to Sumatra and other far-eastern countries from here.
How to reach this place?
- Road: The nearest town is Srikakulam. Srikakulam is 17 km from Salihundam. There are good road connections from Srikakulam to this place.
- Train: There is no railway station near to Salihundam in less than 10 km. The major railway station is Vishakapatnam Rail Way Station. It is at a distance of 117 KM.
What are the timings of the Stupa?
The Stupa remains open for visitors from 6 AM to 9 PM.
What is the entry fees of the Stupa?
The entry fees to the Stupa varies from Zero to 10 rupees.
What are some temples nearby?
Simhachalam Temple is located nearby in Vizag.