Omkareshwar Temple is situated near Indore, in the state of Madhya Pradesh. The name Omkareshwar comes from the word “OM“. Devotees believe that Omkareshwar Temple is the home of the fourth Jyotirlinga. River Narmada flows through Omkareshwar.
Omkareshwar Temple – Facts
|Deity||Lord Omkareshwar (Lord Shiva)|
|Location||Mandhata, Madhya Pradesh|
|Tours||Mahakaleshwar Omkareshwar Tour|
|Darshan Timings||5:00 AM to 9:30 PM|
|Best Time to Visit||October to March|
|Jyotirlingas in Madhya Pradesh||Omkareshwar Jyotirlinga, Mahakaleshwar Temple|
Omkareshwar Temple Timings
The temple opens at 5 AM and closes at 9:30 PM. The temple also performs various rituals during this time. The devotees can be a part of these rituals, such as the morning, afternoon, and evening aarti.
The timings of the Omkareshwar temple are as follows:
|Morning Darshan||5:00 AM||3:50 PM|
|Evening Darshan||4:15 PM||9:30 PM|
|Mangal Aarti||5:00 AM||5:30 AM|
|Jalabhishek||5:30 AM||12:25 PM|
|Evening Aarti||8:20 PM||9:05 PM|
Omkareshwar Jyotirlinga Poojas
Some of the sevas and poojas of Omkareshwar Temple are:
- Maha Rudrabhishek: This Abhishekam takes place by reciting Rigveda, Samveda, Yajurveda and the Atharva Veda in front of the Linga.
- Laghu Rudrabhishekham: Devotees believe that by doing this Pooja, one can overcome health as well as wealth related issues.
- Narmada Aarti: Every evening a Maha Aarti takes place on the banks of River Narmada which is spectacular to view.
- Bhagavan Bhog: During this, devotees present lord Shiva with a Naivedyam Bhog in the evening every day. The Bhog (food) consists of pure Ghee, Sugar, and Rice.
- Mundan (Tonsure): Devotees can also perform a Mundan at a nominal price.
What is the significance of Omkareshwar Jyotirlinga?
Omkareshwar Jyotirlinga is split in nature. One half of the Jyotirlinga is in the Omkareshwar Temple and the other half in the Mammaleshwar Temple. The pilgrims must visit both these temples to get a darshan of the complete Jyotirlinga. The Jyotirlingas are Swayambhu which means that they are self-born.
What is the history of the Omkareshwar Temple?
Nobody knows the original date of construction of this historic temple. However, the earliest evidence states that in 1063, King Udayaditya installed four stone inscriptions each with Sanskrit Stotras. In 1195, Raja Bharat Singh Chauhan renovated the temple and built a palace near it.
How to reach Omkareshwar?
Here’s how to reach:
- Air: The nearest airport is Indore which is 77 km away.
- Train: The nearest railway station is Mortakka which is 12 km away from Omkareshwar. The closest Railway Junction is Khandwa which is 72 km away.
- Road: Regular bus services are available from cities like Indore, Ujjain, Jalgaon, Khandwa, and Bhopal.
Where to stay nearby?
There are about 50 Dharmashalas available in Omkareshwar to stay. Most of them are newly constructed and are equipped with modern amenities. The temple administration does not run any Dharmashala or Ashram. Some of the popular choices to stay are Shri Gajanan Mahajan Sansthan and the MP Narmada tourist bungalows.
Frequently Asked Questions about Omkareshwar Temple
Yes, the Omkareshwar Temple is open all 365 days of the year.
The entry to the Omkareshwar Jyotirlinga is free of cost.
No. There is no facility for online darshan available.
No. There is no facility for specially-abled and senior citizens.