Govindaraja Swamy temple is an ancient Hindu Vaishnavite temple in Tirupati city of Chittoor District of Andhra Pradesh state in India. The temple is one of the earliest structures in Tirupati and also one of the biggest temple complexes in Chittoor district. This temple is closely associated with Tirumala Balaji Temple.
The Tirupati (downhill) city is built around this temple. Further, the temple is for Lord Vishnu, who is Govindarajaswamy. Govindarajaswamy, and the elder brother of Lord Venkateswara.
What is the history of Govindaraja Swamy Temple?
According to the history of Govindaraja Swamy Temple, a large number of inscriptions found in this temple and in the Sri Venkateswara Temple. The earliest of the records belong to the year 1235 A.D when the Chola King, Raja Raja III was ruling the place.
In the year 1239 A.D the queen of Viranarasinga of Yadavaraya made a gift for decoration of the chariot and carrying necessary repairs. The temple came in for greater importance in 1506 A.D. during the rule of Saluva dynasty of Vijayanagar and from then onwards different rulers in a different way developed the temple. Nayakas, the successors to the Vijayanagar Empire built it.
Before consecrating Govindarajaswamy as presiding deity, Sri Parthasarathy Swamy was the presiding deity of the temple. Kotturu, a village at the foot of Tirumala hills was shifted to the vicinity of Sri Govindarajaswamy Temple which was later emerged into city of Tirupati.
What is the significance of Govindaraja Swamy Temple?
Here’s the significance of Govindaraja Swamy Temple:
- It’s outer Gopuram which is visible from quite a distance.
- Govindaraja Swami Temple also has two main shrines dedicated to Lord Vishnu and Lord Krishna. The shrine to the north is Sri Govindaraja while the shrine to the south is Sri Parthasarathi (Lord Sri Krishna as the charioteer of Arjuna).
- The idols of Rukmini and Satyabhama (Krishna’s wives) are also here. The original temple had Sri Parthasarathi on the main altar. ‘Sri Ramanuja’ added the Sri Govindaraja deity around 1130 AD.
- The nearby shrine is in honor of Sri Ramanuja and on the left of the second entrance is a ‘Kurma’ Deity, Lord Vishnu as a tortoise. There are also carvings depicting the pastimes of the Ramayana and Lord Krishna’s pastimes on the second gopuram.
- Sri Govindarajaswamy temple is a huge complex with many other sub-shrines in it. Parthasarathy temples, Kalyana Venkateswara Temple are of more importance among the sub-shrines. There are also Shrines dedicated to Pundarikavalli, Andal, Chakratalwar, Alwars, Lakshmi Narayana Swamy, Anjaneya, Tirumala Nambi, Bhashyakars.
What are the timings of Govindaraja Swamy Temple?
Here are the timings of Govindaraja Swamy Temple:
|Open||5:30 am||9:30 pm|
|Viswarupa sarva darshan||5:30 am||6:30 am|
|Archanantharam darshanam||8:00 am||to 8:45 am|
|Sarvadarshanam||1:15 pm||4:45 pm|
|Sarvadarshanam||6:00 pm||8:00 pm|
Which festivals are celebrated at Govindaraja Swamy Temple?
Some of the festivals celebrated at Govindaraja Swamy Temple are:
- The Sri Govindaraja Swamy Temple is home to many festivals of great perchance and importance. On every Saturday festival there is an onrush of visitors seeking blessings to gain health and immediate wealth.
- Moreover, the celebrations of all the festivals of this temple take place with great aplomb. These involve Bramhostavam, Float festival, Rathasapthami and other utsavam’s that take place at Tirupati or surrounding temples.
How to reach Govindaraja Swamy Temple?
Here’s how to reach Govindaraja Swamy Temple:
- Air: Nearest airport to Sri Govindaraja Swamy Temple is Chennai international airport, which is 108 km away from Sri Govindaraja Swamy Temple.
- Rail: Nearest railway station is renigunta which is 10 km away from Sri Govindaraja Swamy Temple.
- Road: bus and car services are available on a fair amount basis.
Where to stay nearby?
Some of the places where one can stay near the temple are:
- Hotel Bhimas Deluxe at G Car Street, Tirupati is Easily reachable from Tirupati RailwayStation (0.25 km). This hotel in Tirupati provides comfortable accommodation.
- Hotel Fortune Select Grand Ridge is one of Tirupati’s five star hotels at the intersection of Chennai-Bangalore highway, on the Tiruchanoor road. This hotel is just beside Shilparamam Theme Park .
What are some places to visit nearby?
Some of the places one can visit nearby are:
- Sri Kodandaramaswami Temple – This temple in honor of Sri Rama is within a distance of about a kilometer from Tirupati Railway station. The Temple is in memory of the visit of Sri Rama, Lakshmana and Sita to Tirupati while returning from Lanka.
- Alamelumangapuram Tiruchanur, also known as Alamelumangapuram, located about 5 kms from tirupati is also an ancient sacred place. The Temple of Sri Padmavathi Devi, the consort of Lord Venkateswara is in this place. Devotees also believe that the visit to tirumala is fruitful only after a visit to sri Padmavathi devi temple at tiruchanur.
- Sri Kalyana Venkateswara Swamy temple is at an easily commutable distance of 12 KM to the west Tirupati. It is also the alternative for Tirumala Devastana, and has great divine power.
- Another important Lord Krishna temple is famous as the Sri Venugopala Swamy Temple. Also, this is the only Krishna temple in the vicinity of Tirupati, depicting the Childhood of Lord Krishna. It is in the town Karvetinagaram, at a distance of 42KM from the Tirupati.