Devprayag is one of the five confluences of river Alaknanda (Panch Prayag). It is present at the confluence of Alaknanda with Bhagirathi, in Uttarakhand. From here on, Alaknanda and Bhagirathi meet and take the same name- Ganga. It draws its name from sage Devsharma who led his life here.
Bhagirathi originates from Gaumukh and Alaknanda from Satopanth glaciers respectively. It is a famous pilgrimage destination on the Char Dham Yatra route. It is the last confluence following Vishnuprayag, Nandaprayag, Karnaprayag, and Rudraprayag.
What is the history of Devprayag?
According to the history of Devprayag, late Acharya, Pt. Chakradhar Joshi established Nakshatra Vedh Shala on the mountain Dashrathanchal at Devprayag. It even has the ancient equipment like Surya Ghati, Dhruv Ghati which showcase the pride of Bharatiya progress in the field of astronomy.
According to mythology, there is another river that belongs to this confluence named Saraswati which originates from Mana Village in Badrinath and in Devprayag, the river comes from the feet of Shri Raghunath Ji in Raghunath Temple. Also, the footprints of Lord Rama are purported to exist at “Ram Kunda”.
What is the significance of Devprayag?
The significance of Devprayag is that it is surrounded by 3 Godly peaks, named Giddhanchal Parvat, Dashrathanchal Parvat, and Narsinghancal Parvat. Also, Lord Shiva is worshiped here in the form of Linga, named Tondeshwar Mahadev and Dhaneshwar Mahadev. One can also visit places like Mata Bhuvneshwari temple in village Pundal.
Other popular temples nearby areDhaneshwar Mahadev temple, Danda Naggaraja (Lord of Snakes) temple and Chandrabadni temple.
How to reach Devprayag?
Here’s how to reach Devprayag:
- Air: The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport at a distance of 91 km from Devprayag.
- Train: The nearest railway station is Rishikesh, at a distance of 72 km from Devprayag.
- Road: Buses to Devprayag and Rishikesh are available from ISBT Kashmere Gate. Also, devprayag is on NH58.
Where to stay near Devprayag?
Some of the places where one can stay near Devprayag while undertaking the Char Dham Yatra are:
- The Ramkund Resort: The hotel facilitates its guests with excellent Room Service. It also provide extra/mattress on request of guests. Doctor on call is also available in case of medical emergencies.
- Hotel Chakasha Govindam: Facilities include internet, taxi services, railway and airport transfer, guide service, travel assistance, sightseeing, outdoor activities, parking, bonfire ,dining hall, laundry and also doctor-on-call.
- Moteldev: It offers facilities like parking, tourists guides, pick up and drop services. Guests can also avail recreational activities like trekking, yoga and meditation. It also arranges village safari. Step in the in-house restaurant, which serves flavorful dishes.
What are the other Panch Prayag destinations?
The other Panch Prayag destinations are:
- Vishnuprayag: Vishnuprayag is present 1372 metres above sea level and is the first prayag, according to the descent of the river Alaknanda. According to beliefs, Narada meditated here to impress Lord Vishnu, who eventually appeared before him. Hence, this place derives its name from Lord Vishnu.
- Nandaprayag: According to mythology, it was once the capital of Yadu Kingdom. Devotees believe that a holy dip in the confluence of Nandaprayag can absolve one of his/her sins. It is the second confluence following Vishnuprayag.
- Karnaprayag: It is present at the confluence of river Alaknanda with river Pindar, in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand. Devotees believe that it is the place where Karna of Mahabharata worshipped the Sun God. It is the third confluence following Vishnuprayag and Nandaprayag.
- Rudraprayag: It is present at the confluence of river Alaknanda with river Mandakini, in Uttarakhand. It has an average elevation of 895 metres. It is the fourth confluence following Vishnuprayag, Nandaprayag and Karnaprayag. Also, famous temples located in the region are Kedarnath Temple, Omkareshwara Shiva temple, Madmaheshwara Temple and Trijuginarayan temple.