Sudarshana Homam is a Hindu ritual involving fire. Participating in Sudarshana Homam helps a person destroy negativity, gives him victory over the enemies, and protects against the evil eye.
The homam grants purification and helps in restoring energies and health. It also promotes success and provides deep levels of purification.
Sudarshana Homam owes it’s origin to the Sudharshana Chakra which is among the major psychic weapons of Lord Vishnu who is the preserver as well as the sustainer of the Universe. Lord Vishnu has always been portrayed as holding the mighty Sudharshana Chakra which is a kind of a wheel, in one of his hands. This is his weapon and he always triumphantly flings it at the negative forces to forcefully slice them with a spinning motion.
According to Hindu scriptures, the Sudharshana Chakra originated from the extra shavings from the Sun God, Surya. Saint Vishwakarma created a few powerful golden objects from the Surya Deva including the Sudharshana Chakra. Devotees also believe that the weapon had 108 serrated edges. The Sudharshana Chakra is a mighty weapon that had the power of a million suns.
Who should perform Sudarshana Homam?
A person should perform Sudarshana Homam if he/she:
- needs relief from the evil eye
- needs relief from the intense problems due to powerful enemies
- requires protection from any strong and negative interference which could be in the waking state, sleep state or dream state
- wants a lot of wealth
- wants a strong victory or highly successful results
- wishes to get rid of health issues
- wants to pursue deeper experiences of purification
- wants to work for the people and community
Sudarshana Homam Benefits
Here’re the benefits of participating in Sudarshana Homam:
- Sudarshana Homam helps gain prosperity
- It helps in healing the body and provides rejuvenation of health
- Moreover, it helps in the purification from the harmful and toxic energies
- Sudarshana Homam helps to achieve sincere desires
- It provides also huge victory and immense success with manifestations
- Further, it provides immediate relief from the unexplained sufferings or worries
- The Homam also helps in providing protection from the powerful enemies and evil eye
When should I perform Sudarshana Homam?
One can also perform the homam on Ekadashi, Dwadashi, and Poornima. Also on the dates that fall on a Wednesday and Saturday or during Buddha Horas are also favorable for performing the Sudarshana Homa.
What is the procedure for performing Sudarshana Homam?
The Sudarshana Homam is the best protection from all the evils, dosha nivaran and to get relief from the troubles from enemies, evil eye, black magic, and fear. It also helps in persecution by evil spirits and health problems.
Here’s how to perform Sudarshana Homam:
- The Homam starts with the recitation of the Sudarsana Manthra Japam.
- Recitation of the Sudarshana Ashtottharam which starts with the Sudarsanaya Nama and concludes with the Naarayaanakrupavyuha Tejaschakraya Nama, takes place.
- After that, the priest makes you take the Sri Sudarsana Homa Maha Sankalpa where you invoke the deities to bless you.
- After that the priest invokes all the deities including Lord Kumbam, Lord Varuna, Goddess Lakshmi, Lord Narayana and Lord Sudarsana and performs the Shodasopachara Aaradhanam.
- Agni Prathishtai follows this.
- Then the homam starts with the Sri Sudarsana Shadakshari performed 108 times with aahuthi
- After all the Aahutis, the Poornahuthi takes place which is the conclusion of the Homam
- After the Poornahuthi, all the spectators go around the Agni Kuntam and recite Sri Sudarsan Ashtakam.
- The Bhasmam from the homam is then worn on the forehead protection this the homam concludes here.
What are the materials required for Sudarshana Homam?
The major requirements for the Homam are the Sudarshana Yantra, which is worshiped with Sudarshana Mantra Japa. The Homam requires the Homa samagri including molten butter, herbs, and sticks of certain trees that one needs to offer into the sacrificial fire along with the powerful chanting of mantras.
Apart from this the offerings to Lord Sudarshan also include fruits, flowers, incense sticks, and the Naivedhyam Prasad. Pooja of the owner of Sudarshan, Lord Vishnu has to be performed with Tulsi leaves.
Where to Perform Sudarshana Homam?
This Homam should take place at a Mahavishnu temple by a professional priest. If you want it to take place at your home, then you need to consult a learned Brahman.
Can I perform Sudarshana Homam at home?
Yes, you certainly can perform the Homam at home. However, please take the help of a learned pandit and perform at home.
What is the cost of Sudarshana Homam?
Major costs of the Homam are that of the ingredients and dakshina for priests. The ingredients cost somewhere between Rs. 2000/- to Rs. 3000/-. Thus the total cost of the Homam is less than Rs. 10,000/-. If the homam takes place at the temple, then there could be additional fees.
What is Sudarshana Homam Mantra?
To get blessings of Lord Sudarshana, it is advised to chant this mantra daily. Here are the Sudarshana Homam Mantra Lyrics.
Om Namo Bhagavathe Mahasudarshanaya Deepthre,
Jwalapareethaya Sarvadigshobhanakaraya Brahmane Para Jyothishe,
Hum Paht Swaha
Sudarshana Homam in Tamil
This Homam takes place in all major Indian languages and Tamil is one of them. Please consult a Tamil Pandit.