Vaitheeswaran Kovil is a holy place near Mayiladuthurai in Nagapattinam District. It is famous for the Shiva temple in honor of Vaidyanatheeswarar, the healer of all diseases and his consort Thaiyalnayaki. Jatayu, Rig Veda, Muruga and Surya worshipped the Lord here. This temple consist of several Mandapam and Gopuram
What is the history of Vaitheeswaran Kovil?
According to history of Vaitheeswaran Kovil, Chevvai is son of shiva. Once Shiva was in deep meditation, perspiration from his third eye fell on earth. From that sweat a child was born and later on known asangaragan (chevvai). Chevvai Bhagavan is worshipped in the town of Vaitheeswarankoil or Pullirukkuvelur.
Angarakan (Mars) was one of the Navagraha in 9 planets. One day, he suffered a lot from Skin diseases (Leprosy). He prayed Lord Vaidyanatha Swamy in Vaitheeswaran Koil. Lord Shiva blessed him and cured his diseases. So he stayed in this temple and caleed as “Vaitheewaran” and cure all the diseases by whom praying him.
Thirunavukkarasar was suffering from severe stomach pain. At time, his sister told him to pray Lord Vaidyanatha Swamy. Then he prayed and got cured by Lord Shiva. He also became a great devotee of Lord Shiva and sung many songs for Lord Shiva.
Lord Shiva is a swayambumurthi in the temple. The five towers – Gopurams of the temple are on a straight line. The Maragatha Linga (Emerald Linga) is very famous. There are two flag posts-Kodimaram before the presiding deity made of silver and gold. Navagrahas the nine planets are generally in the front side of the sanctum facing different directions in Shiva temples.
What is the significance of the Vaitheeswaran Kovil?
Here’s the significance of Vaitheeswaran Kovil:
- There is a widespread believe that when one visits here, it would remove obstacles of the delayed marriage(Chevvai dosham). In chevvai temple the Prasadam (Food) offered by the name of tiruchendur urundai and it is considered to be a panacea capable of many elements it is made of ashes taken out from the homa kundam in front of Subramaniya strain.
- The Lord Vaidyanatha and Thaiyal Nayagi are the family God (Kula Dheivam) for Kshatriya Community (Vanniyakula Kshatriyas) of South India. This temple is also Navagraha Sthalas of Lord Angarakan. Moreover, it is a famous tourist spot in Nagapattinam District.
- Lord Bhairava protects the temple in the east, by Lord Veerabadra in the west, Lord Vinayaka in the south and Ma Kali in the north. Also, with its five tier Rajagopuram, the temple is facing west. The temple belongs to Darumapuram Aadheenam of Tiru Kayilaya Parambara – descendants of Kailash dynasty.
What are the timings of Vaitheeswaran Kovil Temple?
Here are the timings of Vaitheeswaran Kovil Temple:
|Morning Darshan||6.00 AM||11.00 AM|
|Evening Darshan||4.00 PM||8.30 PM|
What are the festivals celebrated at the Vaitheeswaran Kovil?
Some of the festivals celebrated at Vaitheeswaran Kovil are:
- Skanda shashti: Kanda Sashti occurs in the Tamil Month Aippasi. Skanda Shasti celebrates the victory of Lord Skanda over demon Surapadma. In many places the festival commences six days before the Sashti day and concludes on the day of the Sashti. During these days, devotees recite inspiring hymns, read stories of Subramanya, and enact the exploits of the Lord on stage.
- Aadipooram: Aadi Pooram, also called as ‘Aandal Jayanti’ is a prime festival of Tamilians. This festival is for Goddess Andal, an incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi. The day also holds immense significance in Goddess Shakti temples scattered all over the country. In the event, priests offer glass bangles to Goddess Andal and then distribute them among all devotees.
- Karthigai: Karthigai Deepam is a festival of lights, celebrated in the Tamil month of Karthigai. Accordin gto beliefs, Lord Muruga, the divine light of Lord Shiva, took his form during this month. On this day, all his six forms were united by Parvathi(his mother) and this way, he had six faces.
- Panguni Uthiram: The Panguni Uthiram festival falls in the month ‘Panguni’ (March-April). This is also teh wedding day of Gods and Goddesses such as Parvati and Shiva, Devasena and Murugan, Andal and Ranganath and Sita and Rama. Devotees of Lord Muruga pierce their bodies with needles and spikes as a sign of their devotion to the Lord.
What are the Poojas and Rituals of Vaitheeswaran Kovil?
The poojas and rituals of Vaitheeswaran Kovil are:
- At the midnight Pooja the priests worship Lord Selva Muthukumaraswamy with special prayers. This is famous as ‘Punugu Kappu Dharshan’
- Chevvai related dosha are rectified by performing pariharam(remedies) poojas to this deity. It is traditional to perform navagraha pooja to get rid of financial crisis, property dealing, productivity of agriculture and milk. It also solvess any problem between brothers and sisters. Chevvai also heels cut wounds.
- The devotees as soon as entering the temple, they first go to Sithamirtha tank (Sithamirtha tank consist of 18 wells) filled with holy water and mix with medicines in form of leaves. The water has curative properties for various skin elements.
- The person’s diseases even that could not get cured by mani, mandra, aushatha, after coming to this temple they got cured at this place. Therefore, here Shiva is Vaithiyanathan (doctor).
- Devotees also undertake tonsuring. Ear boring ceremony also takes place in the temple. They also light Maa Vilakku made of rice flour and ghee, offer mangal sutras and god symbols as a prayer commitment. They also place salt, pepper and mustard and eye symbols made of silver in the Ambica shrine.
How to reach Vaitheeswaran Kovil?
Here’s how to reach Vaitheeswaran Kovil:
- Air: No direct connectivity to flight between Nagapattinam and Chennai is available.
- Road: It is between Sirkazhi and Mayiladurai in the route of Chidambaram-Mayiladuthurai. This temple is 15 KM from Mayiladurai or 24 KM from Chidambaram.
- Rail: The Nearest station is Mayiladuthurai. Direct train between Nagapattinam and Chennai is available.
Where to stay in Vaitheeswaran Kovil?
Some of the places where one can stay in Vaitheeswaran Kovil are:
- Hotek Sadhabishegam Contact: Vaitheeswarankovil,Tamil Nadu 609117.
- Hotel Sri Akshardham Contact: SH 64,Vaitheeswarankovil, Tamil Nadu 609117
- Chola Inn Contact: 105, Pidari South Street,Thenpathi,Sirkazhi,Tamil Nadu 609111
- Ayarpadi Hotel Contact: Old NH,Thenpathi,Sirkazhi,Tamil Nadu 609110
- Hotel Aryabhavan Contact: Old NH,Thiruvalluvar Nagar,Thenpathi,Sirkazhi,Tamil Nadu 609111
Where to eat in Vaitheeswaran Kovil?
Some of the places where one can eat in Vaitheeswaran Kovil are:
- Samboorna Restaurtant Contact: Old NH,Thenpathi,Sirkazhi, Tamil Nadu 609110
- Garden Restaurant Contact: Thenpathi,Sirkazhi, Tamil Nadu 609110
What are some temples near Vaitheeswaran Kovil temple?
Some of the temples near Vaiteheswaran Kovil Temple are:
- Nellukadai Mariamman Koil: Nellukadai Mariamman Temple is at Nagapattinam. Interestingly, Mariamman appeared in the dream of a rice trader and asked him to build a shrine for him. He then constructed a beautiful temple in Nagapattinam and started offering prayers.
- Sri Mullaivananathar temple: The fame of this temple rests largely upon the Goddess Shri Garbharakshambika (an avatar of Goddess Parvati) who offers protection to, the human embryo. And it is no wonder that this temple draws worshippers from all sects. Also, Lord Shiva in this Sthalam is famous as Mullaivananathar and the Ambika as Karparakshambigai. Another presiding deity is Lord Mullaivana Nathar.
- Sikkal Singaravelan Temple: Sikkal Singara Velan Temple is one of the most popular Hindu temples dedicated to Lord Muruga and a contender for the unofficial seventh Padaiveedu of Muruga, along with the popular Arupadaiveedu (six abodes of Lord Muruga). Devotees also belive that Lord Murugan had got his Vel (weapon) from his divine mother at Sikkal, to kill the asura.