Pavamana Homam is a ritual performed to put an end to all your sins and bad karmas you have accumulated in life. You might be experiencing the bad effects of karma of your past lives without even knowing it. This homam cleanses your soul and brings purity in your life.
Pavamana homam is a word derived from the Dravidian language. According to it, ‘Pavam’ means to sin and ‘Mana’ means to negate. Vedic astrologers also recommend this homam to correct one’s horoscope.
Who is Lord Pavamana?
Pavamana is a group of Gods who reduce your sins and bring positivity and prosperity in life. The group consists of Lord Vishnu, Lord Hanuman, Lord Bharati, Somadeva, Agnideva, and goddess Ganga. These Gods are individually invoked and summoned in a kalasha – a holy sacred pot. Then, they are worshiped for a mandala which is a period of 45 days.
What are the benefits of performing Pavamana Homam?
Here are the list of benefits of performing Pavamana Homam:
- We should perform this homam to negate all the sins we have done unknowingly. The sins can be in the form of violence, insulting elders, stealing, lying, etc.
- This Homam cleanses your soul and makes your mind pure.
- It purifies your life and destroys all your sins.
- It negates all your present as well as past lives sins.
- This homam brings prosperity and wealth in the life of its devotees.
- One can achieve peace of mind and calmness with it.
- It shows you the path of salvation and helps in achieving moksha.
Who should perform Pavamana Homam?
Here’s who should do Pavamana Homam:
- People who are suffering from the bad karmas of their past lives and it is affecting their present life. They should perform this homam to get rid of past-life karmas.
- Those who want to achieve salvation and peace of mind.
- As per astrologer’s advice, we can perform this homam to correct our stars and horoscopes.
What are the best days to do Pavamana Homam?
Thai Amavasya, also known as Magha Amavasya or Mauni Amavasya, is an auspicious day to perform Pavamana Homam. There is a belief that water of holy Ganga river turns into a sweet nectar on the day of Mauni Amavasya. Hence, it is very fruitful to take a holy dip in Ganga river on that day.
Other good days to perform this homam are:
- Ekadashi, Poornima, Saturdays are also auspicious dates for Pavamana Homam.
- Vedic astrologers also decides the dates for this homam according to your horoscope.
What is the procedure for performing Pavamana Homam?
Time needed: 1 hour.
Here’s how to do Pavamana Homam at home:
- Summoning Gods
The clang of Gods is first invoked and summoned in the puja.
- Kalasha Sthapna
We place a Kalasha on Rice mandala. We then request Gods to situate there.
- Agni Prathisthapana
We then light the fire inside the homam Kund along with camphor.
- Offerings and Samagri
We have to offer milk, ghee, honey and fruits in puja.
- Chanting Mantras
It contains 7010 mantras from Rig Veda. We should chant Pavamana Pancha Sookthas and Vishnu related mantras during this homam.
ॐ असतो मा सद्गमय ।,तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।,मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।,ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥
What are the materials required for this Homam?
The main materials required for Pavamana Homam are Ghee, milk, honey, and camphor. Fruits are also offered and distributed as prasada later. Besides this, one must have a homam Kunda (can be of bricks) and woods for fire.
Where to perform Pavamana Homam?
The procedure of this homam is so simple. Hence, a follower can perform this homam by himself or they can call a Pandit. One can perform this homam at their home or office. A lot of temples also offer the services of this homam.
Still, one should book the place and Pandit in advance and perform it on auspicious days only.
What is the cost of Pavamana Homam?
The cost of this puja is usually around Rs.2000. The cost includes the materials required and Dakshina for Pandit. But, one can perform this at a low cost too since God doesn’t want any money. He only wants your faith and sentiments.
If you need any help regarding this Homam, feel free to leave a comment. We will give you a reply within an hour.