Krishna Pushkaralu 2016
Krishna Pushkaralu marks the time during which water from the 12 holy rivers is divinely mixed with River Krishna. Among the several hundreds of rivers flowing throughout the length and breadth of our country, River Krishna holds a prominent place in our hearts and minds.
[av_sidebar widget_area=’Krishna Pushkaralu Google’]
River Krishna is the fourth largest river in India. The delta region of the river is one of the most fertile areas in our country and a site for prosperous agriculture. The river is the lifeline for states like Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. It also supports an indispensable variety of flora and fauna that survive on the water from the River. Modern man depends on this river, not only for water but also for electricity, as there are about 13 hydroelectric power projects and dams built on this river.
The origins of River Krishna have been traced to the hills and plateaus of Mahabaleshwar in Maharashtra. The Panchganga Temple is the site of the origin where the river drops out of a “Gaumukh” or a Cow’s mouth.
The beginnings of the Pushkaralu can be traced back to a legend. As per the story, a Brahmin in a village performed severe penance dedicated to Lord Shiva. He was granted a boon by the Lord that he will have the power to purify the holy rivers. As a result of this power, his name eventually became Pushkar meaning “the one who nourishes and purifies”. The God of Planets and Guru, Brihaspati requested Pushkar to purify the 12 holy rivers when he travels from one zodiac sign to another every year.
As per the beliefs, the first 12 days when the Jupiter (Brihaspati) enters the zodiac sign Virgo (Kanya Rasi) is celebrated as the Krishna Pushkaralu. It is believed that on the first 12 days and the last 12 days of Jupiter in any zodiac sign, Pushkar travels with Brihaspati and purifies the holy rivers.
Krishna Pushkaram 2016
The festival of Krishna Pushkaralu is celebrated once every 12 years to honour River Krishna and seek her blessings. Although the occasion is celebrated all over Telangana and Andhra Pradesh, the focal point of the festivities is the city of Vijayawada.
The festivities of Krishna Pushkaralu held in 2004, attracted over 30 million visitors to the city and ghats of Vijayawada. This year, the sacred 12 days festival of Krishna Pushkaralu begins on 12 August 2016 till 23 August 2016 in Vijayawada. Large crowds of visitors, tourists, saints, and priests are expected to attend the festival with great enthusiasm and thankfulness to our mother nature.
Krishna Pushkaralu Dates
The grand festival of Krishna Pushkaralu will be held from 12 August, 2016 – 23 August, 2016.
Krishna Pushkaram Ghats
Although theoretically one can take a holy dip anywhere along the length of River Krishna during Krishna Pushkaralu, the State Governments of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana have organised and constructed several bathing ghats with facilities like changing rooms and guards in Vijayawada.
[av_sidebar widget_area=’Krishna Pushkaralu Amazon’]
Pushkar Ghats in Andhra Pradesh
|Bhavani Ghat||Bhanipuram, Vijayawada|
|Durga Ghat||Near Prakasam Barrage, Beside Model Guest House, Vijayawada|
|Padmavathi Ghat||Opp.PNBS, Krishna Lanka, Vijayawada|
|Punnami Ghat||Bhavanipuram, Near Punnami Hotel, Vijayawada|
|Vijaya Krishna Ghat||Kanakadurgamma Varadhi, Vijayawada (Urban)|
|Gollapudi Main Ghat||Gollapudi, Vijayawada|
|Surayapalem Ghat||Suraypalem, Gollapudi, Vijayawada|
|Guntupalli Ghat||Guntupalli, Ibrahimpatnam Mandal|
|Tummalapalem-1 Ghat||Tummalapalem, Ibrahimpatnam Mandal|
|Tummalapalem-2 Ghat||Tummalapalem, Ibrahimpatnam Mandal|
|Damuluru Ghats-1 & 2||Damuluru, Ibrahimpatnam Mandal|
|Vekanuru-1 Ghat||Vekanuru, Avanigadda|
|Vekanuru-2 Ghat||Vekanuru, Avanigadda|
|Edlanka Ghat||Edlalanka, Avanigadda|
|South Chiruvolu Lanka Ghat||Chiruvolu Lanka, Avanigadda|
|Kothapeta Ghat||Kothapeta Village, Avanigadda|
|Puligadda Ghat||Puligadda Village, Avanigadda|
|K.Kothapalem Ghat||Kokkiligadda Kothapalem, Mopidevi|
|Bobbarlanka Ghat||Bobbarlanka, Mopidevi|
|Mopidevi Warf Ghat||Mopidevi|
|Kosuruvaripalem Ghat||Kosuruvaripalem, Mopidevi|
|Pedakallepalli Ghat||Pedakallepalli, Mopidevi Mandal|
|Pedakallepalli Ghat-1||Pedakallepalli, Mopidevi Mandal|
|Pedakallepalli Ghat – 2||Pedakallepalli, Mopidevi Mandal|
|Hamsaladeevi Ghat||Hamsaladeevi, Koduru Mandal|
|Ullipalem Ghat||Ullipalem, Koduru Mandal|
|Salempalem Harijanawada Ghat||Salempalem, Koduru Mandal|
|Pittalanka Padavalarevu Ghat||Pittalanka, Koduru Mandal|
|Kummaripalem Ghat||Kummaripalem, Koduru Mandal|
|V.Kothapalem Ghat||V.kothapalem, Koduru Mandal|
|Royyuru Ghat||Royyuru, Thotlavalluru Mandal|
|Vallurupalem Ghat||Vallurupalem, Thotlavalluru Mandal|
|Chagantipadu Ghat||Chagantipadu, Thotlavalluru Mandal|
|Devarapalli Ghat||Devarapalli, Thotlavalluru Mandal|
|Illuru -1 Ghat||Illuru, Thotlavalluru Mandal|
|Illuru – 2 Ghat||Illuru, Thotlavalluru Mandal|
|Illuru – 3 Ghat||Illuru, Thotlavalluru Mandal|
|Yanamalakuduru Ghat||Yanamalakuduru, Penamaluru mandal|
|Pedapulipaka Ghat||Pedapulipaka, Penamaluru mandal|
|Chodavarm Ghat||Chodavarm, Penamaluru mandal|
|Kasaranenivaripalem Ghat||Kasaranenivaripalem, Penamaluru mandal|
|Gani Atkuru Pushkar Ghat||Gani Atkuru, Kanchikacherla Mandal|
|Chevitikallu Pushkar Ghat||Chevitikallu, Kanchikacherla Mandal|
|Kunikinapadu Pushkar Ghat||Kunikinapadu, Kanchikacherla Mandal|
|Munnaluru Pushkar Ghat||Munnaluru, Kanchikacherla Mandal|
|Punnavalli Ghat||Punnavalli, Chandarlapadu Mandal|
|Kasarabada Ghat||Kasarabada, Chandarlapadu Mandal|
|Ustepalli Ghat||Ustepalli, Chandarlapadu Mandal|
|Gudimetla Ghat||Gudimetla, Chandarlapadu Mandal|
|Gudimetla – 2 Ghat||Gudimetla, Chandarlapadu Mandal|
|Popuru Ghat||Popuru, Chandarlapadu Mandal|
|Sri Vedadri Village Ghat||Vedadri, Jaggaiahpeta Mandal|
|Sri Yogananda Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Vari Ghat||Vedadri, Jaggaiahpeta Mandal Directions|
|Sri Ravirala Village Ghat||Ravirala, Jaggaiahpeta Mandal|
|Sri Bhavani Muktheswara Swamy Vari Ghat||Mukteswarapuram, Jaggaiahpeta Mandal Directions|
|Uttaravahini Ghat||Mukteswarapuram, Jaggaiahpeta Mandal|
|Vadapalem Ghat||Vadapalem, Machilipatnam Mandal|
|China Yadara Ghat||China Yadara, Machilipatnam Mandal|
|Bhogireddy palle Ghat||Bhogireddy palle, Machilipatnam Mandal|
|Srikakulam Ghat||Srikakulam, Ghantasala Mandal|
|Ramudupalem Ghat||Ramudupalem, Challapalli Mandal|
|Inapuru Ghat||Inapuru, Pamidimukkala Mandal|
|T.Kothapalem Village Ghat||T.Kothapalem Village, Nagayalanka|
|Sri RamaPada Kshetram Ghat||Nagayalanka|
|Nagayalanka 7th Ward Ghat||Nagayalanka|
|Brahmananda Puram Ghat||Nagayalanka|
|Gullalamoda Ghat||Gullalamoda, Etimoga Village, Nagayalanka|
Pushkar Ghats in Telangana
In Telangana, following areas have been developed to receive visitors for the Krishna Pushkaralu 2016:
- In Mahboobnagar District – Beechupalli, Rangapur, Alampur, Nadi Agraharam, Chintarevula, Nandimalla (Narayanpet), Krishna, Pasupula and Panchadev Padu (Maktal), Chellepad (Weepanagandla), Jataprole (Weepanagandla), Somasila (Kollapur), Malleswaram, Manchalakatta and Lingala.
- In Nalgonda District – Wadapally in Damaracharla mandal, Mattapally in Mattampally mandal and Nagarjunasagar in Peddavura mandal, Mellacheruvu mandal, Utlapally in Peddavura mandal, Adavidevulapally in Damaracharla, Mahankaligudem in Nereducharla are locations for Pushkaram
Poojas conducted at Krishna Pushkaralu
- Pindapradanam – This is a unique ritual in which the devotee offers Pindas (leaf with offerings to the departed souls is set afloat in water) to ancestors who were deceased. It is done with the belief that their souls will be set free and attain salvation.
- Mahasankalpam – The Pooja is performed by priests on the banks of River Krishna for removing one’s bad karma and sins.
- Laghusankalpam – This ritual involves taking a holy dip in the River during Krishna Pushkaralu by uttering the names and gotras to appease God and fulfill your wishes in this life.
- Sariganga Snanam – This ritual is performed for a better family life, especially better relations with children and spouse.
- Prayaschittam – This ritual means that men and women accept their mistakes and misdeeds to God and seek forgiveness.
- Gouri Pooja – Kumkum Archana and Gouri Pooja are performed to appease Goddess Gouri (Goddess Parvati) and seek her blessings during Krishna Pushkaralu.
- Ganga Pooja – It is believed that during the Krishna Pushkaralu period, water from the 12 holy rivers is divinely mixed with River Krishna. The Ganga Pooja is performed to seek the blessings of all the Rivers at once.
- Musivayanam – It is a tradition in which a married woman is respected and treated with gifts. These gifts can also be offered to the husband when the wife dies. It is believed that by doing this Pooja, the wife’s soul can attain salvation.
Do’s and Don’ts at Krishna Pushkaram Ghats
- Take a dip in the River Krishna only at the authorised Bathing Ghats mentioned in the list above.
- Pilgrims should take a dip at the bathing Ghat that is nearest to them to avoid traffic hassles during Krishna Pushkaralu.
- Pilgrims must follow rules and regulations imposed at the Bathing Ghats as well as in and around the city to enable the smooth organisation and conduction of the festival.
- It is imperative that people visiting the city and the sacred Ghats remain alert and vigilant. Unidentified and unaccompanied baggage must be reported immediately to the nearest police official or security booth.
- Cleanliness and sanctity of the place should be maintained at all costs. Garbage and other kinds of refuse must be disposed off ONLY in dustbins.
- Pilgrims should arrive at the bathing Ghats with minimum baggage. It is the pilgrims’ responsibility to take care of their belongings.
- Do not throw litter, bottles, clothes, flowers etc. into the river. Remember that you are worshiping the River as a goddess. It is a lifeline to our civilisation and hence must be given utmost respect.
- Use of plastic bags and soaps is prohibited for bathing in the Ghats during Krishna Pushkaralu.
- Washing of clothes or relieving yourself openly in and around the bathing Ghats is prohibited during Krishna Pushkaralu.
- Since the number of people visiting the venues will be large, it is better to be patient and wait for one’s turn to bathe than just pushing and shoving for a chance.
Krishna Pushkaralu Emergency numbers
LandLine Numbers : 0866-2474700 ; 0866-2474701
Mobile Numbers : 7702201597;7702201598;9000705973;9866449521
Dear sir can you please tell me is that ok to have a holy dip after pushkaralu because I missed the dates. Please mention till when if so.
Dear Sudhakar, It is considered auspicious only during the 12 days of Pushkaralu which ended on 23rd.
Thanks Sasi garu.
That means, we can perform pushkara snanam any number of days during pushkara days.
Yes that’s correct.
Somebody is telling that Pushakara snanam should not be done in 2 days or 4 days or 6 days or 8 days or 10 days or 12 days . It should be done either in 1day or 3days or 5 days or 7days or 9 days or 11 days continuously. Is there any such rule in purana grandhas. Please tell me.
Dear Anand, There is no such rule. Just once is enough.
Can newly married people take bath in pushkaralu?
Yes by all means.
bhanu chandar says
is pushkar bath entry at night also?? because my journey sets at night time ..reply to the post sir ASAP
Dear Bhanu,The pushkar ghats are usually closed by 7pm. It varies a bit from place to place but they are not open in the night.
Helo sir By which time puskara muhurtham starts . . .
please tell me pushkara snanam timings
Usually from morning 5am to evening 7pm
i am planing to go mahabaleswaram…… ia there any facilities for puskhara snanam and all ???
Dear Gopi, We are not aware of any pushkarulu facilities in Mahabaleshwar.
sir,is Pushkara bath starts from 11th night from 9.30pm?
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has given a statement that the Krishna Pushkaralu will be inaugurated on the 12th of August in the morning by the Kanchi seers Vijayendra Saraswati and Jayendra Saraswati.
Is Pushkara bath starts from 11th night from 9.30pm?
Raja Babu Pedapudi says
What things we have to do during ” Krishna Pushkaralu 2016″ ?
1. As a man
2. As a woman
3. As a family
4. As a group
Can anybody confirm Krishna Puskar bath will be available in Maharastra i.e., Mahabaleswar or any place.
Dear Siri, We are not sure about arrangements in Maharashtra. We will update our website if the government releases some info about it.
vsr sarma says
sir, what about arrangements in beechupalli. whether pandits are available there.
Dear Sarma, We are not familiar with the details there. Sorry.
av subba rao says
Is there any bath arrangements at starting place i.e. Mahabaleshwar. We are staying in Maharashtra.
Dear Rao, We are not sure about any arrangements in Mahabaleshwar.
sbn rao says
i need to know krishna river banks for bathing where there lesscroud
usually popular places like vijayawada, amaravati and srisailam are crowded. try less popular places.
We are planning to visit Srisalam during pushkaralu. Is there any pushkar ghats available in near Srisalam Mallikarjuna swamy temple. Please provide information on this.
Dear Venu, Pushkar ghats are available in srisailam. You can plan your trip.
can yu help anyone i want to serve the people during Pushkaram 2016 in the way i need to show the way,send them in a line liike that
That’s a great thought. You need to contact the pushkaram committee for that. Just be there during the dates and we are sure they will let you volunteer. goodluck!
Rashmi K says
is there any tickets r wanted to the sevas….??
please rply sir….
What tickets are you looking for?
Dr.Kangala.Raj Kumar. says
Sir, I am interested to know more details of this festive. please send me the same to my mail pl. Dr.K.Raj Kumar.