What are the sightseeing places near Yamunotri?
Some of the temples near Yamunotri temple are:
- Lakhamandal: This historic place is located 71 km away from Yamunotri. This place holds significance in the great Mahabharata epic. Devotees believe that Duryodhana built this palace for Pandavas. He planned to kill the Pandavas by burning the palace to the ground.
- Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Uttarkashi: It is one of the most sacred temples in Uttarakhand. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is present on the banks of river Bhagirathi. It is also one of the Char Dham Yatra destinations. The Shiva lingam here is 56cm in height and tilted towards south.
- Shani temple: The temple is located in the town of Kharsali. The temple is dedicated to the God of Saturn (Shani Devta). The temple is an old three-storey structure. Shani resides in the uppermost floor of the shrine. He is the brother of Goddess Yamuna. This is also the place where Goddess Yamuna stays during the winter months.
- Champasar Glacier: It is the actual source of the Yamuna river. It is located on the Kalind Mountain at a height of 4,421 meters, 1 km above the temple. The road to the glacier is extremely difficult for people to reach. Hence the shrine has been located at the foot of the hill. Pilgrims, therefore, offer pooja at the temple itself.
- Surya Kund & Gauri Kund: Two hot springs are also present close to the temple offering relief to tired hikers. Surya Kund has boiling hot water while Gauri Kund has water suitable for bathing. It is a must for all the pilgrims to cook a handful of rice and potatoes in the springs. Rice so cooked is considered as Prasadam. It is taken back home and is meant as a spiritual cleanser.
Here is everything you want to know about Yamunotri Temple:
- Yamunotri Temple History and Story
- Yamunotri Temple Significance and Popularity
- Yamunotri Temple Timings, Opening & Closing Dates 2019
- Yamunotri Temple Poojas and Aartis
- Yamunotri Location and Route
- Yamunotri Temple Architecture & Inside
- Yamunotri Temple Culture and Festivals 2019
- 5 Best Tourist Places Near Yamunotri
- Best Hotels near Yamunotri Temple