Here is everything you want to know about Tirumala Teppotsavam.
What is Tirumala Teppotsavam?
This annual seva is offered at Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam. It is a five-day festival. In this unique festival the procession deities will be taken out on the glittering and colorfully decorated floats in the Swami Pushkarini commencing on the Ekadashi day of Phalguna month every year in the evening hours.
Who should take part in Tirumala Teppotsavam?
- A single person can participate in this seva by booking tickets either online or offline.
- The price of ticket is Rs 500 per person for per day.
- They should start booking tickets at least 90 days prior to the actual date of seva.
What are the best days to do Tirumala Teppotsavam?
The best days to perform Teppotsavam are:
- This annual seva is celebrated in the month of March.
- One should make prior booking to get the dates to participate this pooja.
- It is performed in the evening, starting around 6 p.m.
How is Annual Tirumala Teppotsavam Seva celebrated?
- Every year during Phalguna Poornima, this festival is celebrated on a grand scale in the Swami Pushkarini for five days in the month of Chaitra (March).
- On the first day, Lord Rama with Sita and Lakshmana are offered worship and taken out for a celestial ride on the finely decked float in Swamy Pushkarini.
- On the second day, Lord Sri Krishna and Rukmini are offered puja and taken for pleasure ride on float.
- During the remaining three days beginning with Thrayodashi and ending with Poornima, Sri Malayappa Swami along with Sridevi and Bhudevi are taken out for a ride in the temple tank.
- On the third day, there will be three rounds followed by five rounds.
- And on the final day, the utsava murtis will be taken out for pleasure ride on the impressively decorated float for seven rounds.
- On this day special charms are added to the boat deck. Along with the main temple, the Mada streets are also decorated with radiant lights. The full moon is an added attraction to the divine beauty of the deities.
- The pilgrims throng to see the grandeur of the deities on this day since, the charm of full moon is an added attraction to the divine beauty of the deities.
- Arjitha seva ticket holders who take part in this float festival will have darshan of the Lord after the festival.
Where is Tirumala Teppotsavam performed?
The festivals begin in Srivari Pushkaram, Tirumala around 6 to 7 p.m. in the evening on all 5 days.
What is the history behind Tirumala Teppotsavam seva?
- The earliest inscription relates to the year 1468 A.D. says that Sriman Maha Mandaleswara Medini Misraganda Kathhari Saluva Narashima Raju Udayar “the son of Saluva Gundaya Deva Maharaja Udyar”, built a Vasanta Mandapam in the middle of Swami Pushkarini Teertha.
- Even today it is this mandapam from the Teppotsavam starts.
- Earlier this festival was celebrated for 9 days. But it is being observed for 5 days starting from Ekadashi and concluding on Poornima.
What is the cost to get tickets for Tirumala Teppotsavam?
- The pilgrims who wish to be a part of this annual seva, they need to book tickets either online through ttd seva online or offline. Ticket cost is approximately Rs. 500/- per person for per day.
- Every ticket holder is given one Big Laddu and one Vada along with silk piece upper for gents and blouse piece for ladies
When will Tirumala Teppotsavam be performed in 2018?
The annual Teppotsavam at Tirumala is scheduled to take place from February 26, 2018 to March 1, 2018.