Thila Homam is a powerful Vedic ritual performed for the peace of souls of the ancestors and family members who died unnaturally. It is also a remedy for someone who is suffering from Pitru Dosha in his/her horoscope. Rameshwaram is the main place for performing Thila Homam.
These unusual deaths may be because of:
- poisonous bite of deadly creatures
- premature death
- killed by strangling the neck or weapons
- died at the time of delivery or/and
- left home due to madness
In all the above cases, the dead soul waits desperately to become free from the evil powers of hell.
Devotees also believe that these souls are haunting or roaming in space and thus the Shastras advice the Thila Homam as a remedy to give the soul peace and to relieve it from negative forces. The Homam helps the soul find its way to rebirth or sends such a soul back to the lotus feet of God.
Who should perform Thila Homam?
Here’s the list of people who should perform Thila Homam:
- Someone whose ancestors died unnaturally.
- People with intense problems due to powerful enemies.
- Someone whose forefathers have not achieved peace because of the evil deeds they did during their lifespan.
- People with Pitra Dosha (Ancestor Dosha).
- Someone who has not performed Shradhh ceremony for ancestors.
- A person whose forefathers are causing unhappiness in their lives like delaying in settling down in a job, late marriage, delayed child birth, disobedient children or children giving troubles or suffer ailments, disharmony with family members and between couples, more unwanted expenditure than income, have legal proceedings and often occurrence of accidents.
What are the benefits of Thila Homam?
Here is the list of benefits of Thila Homam:
- It helps in providing relief to the dead souls and protects them from the clutches of hell.
- Also, it helps in driving away from the sufferings of the dead souls.
- It provides immediate relief from the unexplained sufferings and worries.
- The homam also brings good wishes and blessings for a happy, healthy and unhindered successful life from these alleviated souls.
When should I perform Thila Homam?
The Homam can take place any day if you are performing in Rameshwaram.
Thila Homam can be performed as per tithi (time of death) and if that is not known then it can be performed on any Amavasya.
What is the procedure for Thila Homam?
Time needed: 2 hours.
Here’s how to perform Thila Homam:
- Pitra Dosha
The priests at Rameshwaram perform the Thila Homam by following the Vedic customs to dispose-off the challenges emerging because of Pitra Dosha.
- Departed Soul
The relatives of the departed soul perform the Homam.
- Bali Tharpanam
The major ritual involves offering the Bali Tharpanam to the ancestors in a Vedic ceremony while chanting the mantras.
- Agni Samagri
Next, the priest offers the homam samagri to the Agni while chanting mantras and it mainly involves the offering of ‘Til’ or ‘Elu’.
- In Rameshwaram
Only learned Tamil Brahmans of the Ramanatha Swamy Temple in Rameshwaram, Sri Parasurama Temple in Thiruvananthpuram, Janardhana Swami Temple in Varkala or the Thinaavaya Temple in Malappuram should perform these rituals.
How long does it take to perform Thila Homam?
It takes around 2 hours to perform Thila Homam.
What dress should I wear while performing Thila Homam?
Men should wear dhoti. Women should wear a saree or salwar. The dress that you wear while performing Thila Homam should be let off in the river after the Homam.
What are the materials required for performing Thila Homam?
The major ingredients of the Thila Homam are sesame seeds or ‘Til’ or ‘Ellu’, Homam or Havan samagri and all the holy materials that one needs to offer to the Agni Dev or the Holy fire while chanting mantras.
Where to perform Thila Homam?
Thila Homam needs to be performed at Rameshwaram which is the most powerful place for the Homam. If you are planning on performing the ritual in Rameshwaram then you should let us know at least a week in advance so that we can make the arrangements.
After the Homam, the ashes of the dead are mixed in holy seawater as it is believed that the dead soul will rest in peace and get salvation only at this spot.
The ritual takes place once in a lifetime, unlike other death ceremonies that take place annually or monthly. The new moon rituals can be performed regularly like any other auspicious Homa or Pooja but not the Thila Homam.
What is the cost of Thila Homam?
Major costs of the Thila Homam are that of the ingredients and Dakshana for the priests.
If Thila Homam takes place at the Rameshwaram temple, then below are the detailed costs.
Cost primarily depends on the count of chants performed during the homam. The cost of Brahmins is more due to the additional procedures required.
|Thila Homam||Price Range|
|1008 Count||₹12000 – 15000|
|3000 Count||₹15000 – 17000|
|6000 Count||₹18000 – 22000|
|10000 Count||₹24000 – 27000|
In addition to Thila Homam, below are the optional rituals that are performed and their costs.
|Sudarshana Homam 1008 Count||₹12000 – 15000|
|Sarpa Shanthi, Rahu Ketu Shanthi||₹12000 – 15000|
|Naga Prathista (including idol)||₹17000 – 22000|
|Swayamvara Kalaa Parvathi (For delay in marriage) / Kalathra Dosham||₹12000 – 15000|
|Thithi/Sraddam/Divasam (Yearly ceremony)||₹5000 – 15000|
|Hiranya Sradham||₹5000 – 7000|
|Theertha Sradham||₹15000 – 17000|
|Kasi Yatra Sankalpam / Saikata Pooja in Dhanushkoti||₹6000 – 8000|
|Ganga Pooja with Rudra Paarayanam||₹5000 – 7000|
Thila Homam in Tamil
The procedure for Thila Homam is the same in any language. Please refer to the Thila Homam Procedure section in the article.
Please refer to youtube for videos related to this homam. There are not many of them though.