Details about Navagraha Temples
- The Sun Temple – Suryanar Kovil: This temple is dedicated to Planet Sun. This temple is the most important one for doing remedies for all the nine planets. The Mythology of the temple tells the story of the reversal of karma at this shrine. The nine planets worshipped Shiva at this temple. Shiva ordained that whoever comes to the shrine and offer prayers would get rid of harmful effects from the planet.
- The Moon Temple – Thingaloor: This is a temple dedicated to Planet Moon. As Monday closely follows Sunday, this temple is also located in the close vicinity of Suriyanar Koil, the temple dedicated to the Sun. Inside the temple, Lord Shiva appears in the form of a Linga and his Consort Parvathi is known as Periyanayagi.
- The Mars Temple – Vaitheeswaran Kovil: This temple is dedicated to Planet Mars and is located near Myladuthurai (Mayavaram) on the northern bank of river Cauvery. It is widely believed that praying to planet Mars in this temple can help one miraculously overcome all physical ailments.
- The Mercury Temple – Thiruvenkadu: This Temple is also known as Adhi Chidambaram (original Chidambaram) as Lord Shiva rehearsed here before performing the splendid dance at Chidambaram as Lord Nataraja. There is a separate shrine for Planet Mercury – although idols of other planets are also available. The idol of Mercury has four arms and is supposed to have emerged from the earth.
- The Jupiter Temple – Alangudi: Jupiter is the foremost planet here and is known as His abode. Those people who have earned the wrath of Jupiter will have to make a pilgrimage to the small temple in this village. The overlord of this temple is Shiva. Lord Shiva takes the form of Jupiter.
- The Venus Temple – Kanjanur: Strangely, there is no separate shrine for Planet Venus at this temple – although traditionally this temple has been considered the abode of Planet Venus and it is believed that Lord Shiva himself appears as Planet Venus here.
- The Saturn Temple – Thirunallar: This is the abode of Planet Saturn. Saturn plays an important role in the life of every individual. It is because of Saturn that a person experiences extreme poverty and misery. However, Saturn is also a great giver of tremendous wealth. Those who are caught in the evil influence of Planet Saturn should pay a visit to this temple and offer prayers to Saturn.
- The Rahu Temple – Thirunageswaram: This temple is dedicated to the planet Rahu which is the north node of the 2 nodes of the Moon. Both Rahu and Ketu are known as Shadow or Snake planets. The important ritual here is Abhishek (bathing the deity) to planet Rahu, which is performed during Rahu’s time (Rahu Kalam) in the Hindu calendar/almanac. During Abhishek (bathing the deity), several gallons of milk is poured on the statue of Rahu. The milk absorbs the poison of the snake planet Rahu. This is a powerful ritual. While you witness the milk cleansing the poison, you cleanse yourself as well.
- The Ketu Temple – Keezhperumpallum: This temple is dedicated to the other node, the south node of the Moon. There is no separate sanctum sanctorum for planet Ketu in this temple – but the form of Ketu is available in the outer circle. Worshipping planet Ketu here is considered very rewarding.