Navagraha Homam is a powerful ritual devoted to the nine planets of the Solar System. It is performed to gratify the planets who are the sole reason behind all the contentment and misfortunes taking place in a person’s life.
The term, Navagraha itself denotes the nine celestial bodies which have been the center to all the astrological calculations in Indian Astrology. The nine planets namely the Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn and the two shadow planets Rahu and Ketu constitute the significant and most noteworthy Navagrahas.
This Homam is important because these nine “grahas” play a remarkable role in a person’s horoscope. They control his/her desires, karmas and their outcomes. The homam helps in reducing the negative effects (dasha) of the planets thus improving the positive energies related to a person. Hence, the Navagraha Homam delights the nine planets playing a vital role in deciding and directing a person’s lifetime.
Firstly, a person needs to meet an Astrologer. The learned astrologer would then read carefully his/her natal chart. He would attempt to understand the effects of all the planets in his/her Kundli.
The outcomes made by calculating planetary positions of the individual’s natal chart would help astrologer in deciding the best time to conduct the Navagraha Homam. Moreover, it is always suggested for individuals with below mentioned problems to perform this homam ones in lifetime:
- Someone whose four or more of planets are not well placed in his/her natal chart.
- Someone whose Rahu (Ascending node) and Ketu (Descending node) are strongly afflicted in his/her natal chart.
- Anyone having the kalathra dosha or the kaal sarpa dosha as these doshas needs to be nullified so as to improve individual’s married life and career.
Though performing Navagraha Homam has many benefits, but the most noteworthy are as follows:
- Making a person’s life favorable.
- Ensuring a successful career.
- It is a remedy for those who are craving for a happy married life or are affected by the delay in child’s birth.
- Benefits to the people facing stuck ups in business and personal life.
- Satisfying the moving planets that create bad impact on a person’s life.
- Blocking any unfortunate events that may affect a person in future.
Below are some benefits of the nine planets that can be restored through the homam:
- Sun gives good health and affluence
- Moon gives great mind and success
- Mars blesses with prosperity and wealth
- Mercury grants wisdom and wealth
- Jupiter shower bright education and knowledge
- Venus gives knowledge of art and music
- Saturn stands for happiness and Vairagya
- Rahu makes life stronger and helps turning your enemy into friend
- Ketuensures prosperity, sound health and wealth in the family
When should we perform this homam?
The Homam can be performed after consulting a learned astrologer. Astrologer would recommend the proper Muhurat based on an individual’s natal chart. The date and time are fixed as per the performer’s nakshatra on any single date.
- It starts with the Ganapathi Sthapana followed by the Pooja.
- In the second step, the priest asks the performer to take the Punyaha Vachanam or the Maha Sankalpam. He/she would be asked for all desires intended by gratifying all the planets and invoking them to bless the performer.
- Next, the Kalasa Pooja is done. It is alsocalled as the formal Sthapana.
- After that, the homam is elaborately performed. This includes lengthy chanting or the Japam.
- Next, the Aavurthi/Aahuti are given into the Hawan Kund.
- Homam is concluded by offering Poornahuti.
- Prasad distribution at the conclusion of Homam.
Below is the list of material required for performing homam:
- Navgrah Yantra
- Betel Nuts and Leaves
- Havan Kund
- Sandalwood Paste
- Sesame Oil
- Sweets, and
A Purohit/Pandit can make arrangements for the Navagraha Homam at any location, be it the performer’s home, office or a temple.
The major costs of the Navagraha Homam includes the ingredients and Dakshina for the priests. The ingredients cost somewhere between Rs. 2000/- to Rs. 3000/-. Hence, the total cost of the Homam is less than Rs. 10,000/-. However, if you get the Homam performed at the temple, then there are chances wherein an individual requires to pay an additional fees to the temple authorities.
If you have any questions about Navagraha Homam, please leave your comment below and we will get back to you within one hour.