- Mahamrityunjaya Mantra is a very important Shiv Pooja that was initiated by Shukracharya.
- This pooja lends protection to the devotees against any kind of threatening ailments or disease.
- Moreover, this ritual also lengthens the lifespan of the devotee who performs it.
- One can perform this pooja in the comforts of his own home by following the rituals rightfully.
Maha Mrityunjaya Pooja – Fact Table
|Location to be performed||Lord Shiva temples|
|Time required for the pooja||5 – 11 days|
|Number of priests required||Depends on the number of recitations (5 – 10)|
Legends associated with the origins of the Mahamrityunjaya mantra
There are two legends mentioned in the Shiv Purana of how this holy and powerful mantra came to life. They are –
The legend of Rishi Markandeya
- According to this theory, Rishi Markendeya was the sole person who knew the mantra.
- Nevertheless, it was given as a boon to him by Shiva himself after he worshipped him.
- But once Lord Moon was cursed by King Daksha and was on the verge of death.
- Therefore, Daksha’s daughter, Sati pleaded Rishi Markendeya to save Lord Moon by the recitation of this holy mantra.
The legend of Rishi Dadichi
- According to this version, Shukracharya was the sole bearer of this holy mantra.
- Moreover, it was Lord Shiva who himself taught Shukracharya this lifesaver mantra.
- However, Lord Shukracharya went ahead and shared it with Rishi Dadichi.
- So when one time King Kshuva fell ill Rishi Dadichi recited the mantra and saved his life.
- Hence, from this, the mantra became known to everyone.
What are the other names of this pooja?
This mantra has many forms as well as names such as –
- It is popular as the Rudra mantra as Rudra is one of the avatars of Lord Shiva.
- Chanting this mantra relieves the individual from the cycle of death and rebirth. Hence, this mantra also goes by the name moksha mantra.
Who should perform Mahamrityunjaya Mantra?
- This pooja must be performed only by a group of 6 or 7 experienced priests who should do the chantings on behalf of the devotee.
- Failure in doing so can result in worse effects on the devotee rather than good.
In what conditions is the Pooja performed?
- The pooja generally takes place to avoid an untimely death predicted by the Jyotish in the near future.
- Also, in case of a person facing health issues, this pooja is done to better the condition of the patient.
- Performing this pooja is also rectifies doshas like Nadi Dosha and Bhakut dosha occurring during Guna Milaan.
In how much time is the Pooja completed?
- Mahamrityunjaya pooja takes can take around 5 – 11 days to get over with.
- Generally, it starts on a Monday and gets over on the next Monday itself.
- The optimum time required for the pooja also depends on the priests performing it.
What are the benefits of Mahamrityunjaya Mantra?
Here’s a lost of benefits one can achieve by performing the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra:
- It is is a very powerful pooja and helps to overcome all the issues and problems in one’s life.
- It also helps to eradicate all the evil and ill effects in the life of the individual.
- This pooja can also assist in achieving professional success and lead an ambitious life.
- It is also useful to overcome chronic diseases and improving the health of the individual tremendously.
- Chanting of this mantra during pooja will also unblock the energy points in the body and lead a very peaceful life.
- Moreover, this is also useful in overcoming the ill effects of the Maraka planets in the birth horoscope.
- This pooja also results in the creation of a protective shield for the performer’s family and brings harmony.
- Recitation of the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra frees the family of all the sins and awakens the healing powers within oneself.
What is the best time of the day to chant Mahamrtityunjaya mantra?
- The best time of the day to for the chanting of Mahamrityunjaya mantra is early morning hours. Preferably, 4:00 am – 4:30 am.
- One can also chant this mantra after bathing and completing their chores.
When should I perform this mantra?
- One of the auspicious days to perform this pooja is during Maha Shivaratri.
- One can also perform the pooja during the month of Sawan.
- Additionally, Amavasya and Makarsankranti are good times to perform it.
- One should perform this pooja only after consultation with a good priest.
How to do Maha Mrityunjaya Jaap at home?
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Here is how to do Maha mrityunjaya jaap:
- Recite mantra
The best time to perform the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra is early in the morning. Reciting the mantra five times a mala.
- Perform Abhishek
One should offer the flowers to the Shivling and perform the Abhishekam of the Lord with milk and water.
- Take Sankalp
One should undertake the Sankalp and pour water into the pot in order to seek the blessings of Lord Shiva.
- Worship Lord Shiva
Further, one should worship Lord Shiva with the help of fruits, incense sticks, bail leaves, water and lamp.
- Perform Havan
The havan takes place after the Maha Mrityunjaya Jaap pooja is complete.
- After this, the devotee should await the positive results of the pooja.
- However, he may receive early relief if he avoids non-vegetarian food and does the chanting wholeheartedly.
What are the materials required for Mahamrityunjaya Mantra?
Here’s a list of items required for Mahamrityunjaya mantra –
|Samagri/ Things required||Samagri/ Things required||Samagri/Things required|
|Cow milk||Gangajal||Incense sticks|
|Sacred thread (Janeu)||Sugar||Flowers (White)|
|Tulsi and Bail leaves||Sandalwood paste||Sweets|
|Red Vastra||Kala til||Laal Asan|
- Also, one should use Rudraksha Mala for chanting Mahamrityunjaya Mantra.
- Devotees participating in the pooja should wear neat and clean clothes and carry all the necessary items accordingly.
Where to perform this mantra?
- It is best to perform this Puja at Trimbakeshwar Temple, Nashik.
- Along with this, devotees can perform this pooja at any Lord Shiva temple.
- Furthermore, devotees can perform it in any of the 12 Jyotirlingas – 12 Shiva temples spread throughout India
- It is considered auspicious to carry out this pooja at Somnath temple in Gujarat (Learn more about it).
- Other places as options for this pooja are Mahakaleshwar temple in Ujjain, Omkareshwar temple in Indore and Nageshwar temple in Gujarat.
- Out of the twelve, five jyotirlingas are located in the state of Maharashtra.
What are the different types of Mahamrityunjaya mantra Pooja?
Mahamrityunjaya mantra pooja is divided into types depending upon the number of times the mantra is chanted, such as –
- In the first type, the mantra is recited 11000 times. This is the least count for the recitation and hence requires less number of priest and days for completion.
- The second type is where the recitation of the mantra takes place 21000 times.
- The third type constitutes of the recitation of the mantra happening 31000 times.
- The fourth type is where the recitation of the mantra occurs 62000 times.
- The last and fifth type is where the mantra is recited 125000 times. It is the biggest pooja of all.
What is the cost of performing Mahamrityunjaya Mantra?
- The cost of the pooja depends on the type of yagna and the number of times the mantras are chanted.
- Approximately, it costs between Rs. 40,000-50,000 for doing the Maha Mritunjaya pooja for 3-4days.
- Forth the recitations, a Havan takes place. The havan can be small, medium or big depending upon the number of recitations.
- The priests do the recitation of the mantra all day long sitting in front of you.
Hope the above information is helpful for you. For any further queries, comment below and we will get back to you asap.