Jyotirlinga in Maharashtra are the five temples dedicated to Lord Shiva in Maharashtra. They are Bhimashankar, Trimbakeshwar, Grishneshwar, Nagnath in Aundha and Parli Vaijnath. These 5 jyotirlingas together are also known as pancha jyotirlingas. You can visit these jyotirlinga temples in four days either from Pune or Mumbai.
How many Jyotirlinga are there in Maharashtra?
There are 5 Jyotirlinga in Maharashtra out of 12 in India. Here is the list of these shrines where shiva resides as divine lingam.
- Trimbakeshwar Temple
- Bhimashankar Temple
- Grishneshwar Temple
- Nagnath Temple
- Parli Vaijnath Temple
List of 5 Jyotirlinga in Maharashtra
1. Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga
It is believed that Trimbakeshwar is the holiest place of Hindu mythology. The most unique feature of this temple is that the Shiva Linga here has three faces of the three almighty Gods of Hindu mythology – Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwara. River Godavari originates from here and anyone is believed to have acquired salvation, once he or she visits this place.
2. Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga
Lord Shiva appears as “Ardhanareeshwara” in this temple. River Bhima originates from Bhimashankar. The river is considered sacred because it is believed that the river is actually the perspiration of Lord Shiva after he defeated the demon Tripurasura. A holy dip in the river is believed to relieve ones of their sins.
3. Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga
Located very near to the Ellora caves, Grishneshwar temple is the last of the 12 Jyotirlingas. For devotees who undertake the Jyotirlinga pilgrimage, a visit to this temple completes their journey to the holy places of Shiva. One can reap the benefits of worshiping all the 12 Jyotirlingas by just visiting this one temple.
4. Parli Vaijnath Jyotirlinga
This temple is located in a village that is home to mountains and thick forests rich in medicinal herbs. Since the Parli Vaijnath temple is amidst such a healing atmosphere, the Lord here is addressed as Vaidhyanath. Devotees are allowed to touch the Shiva Lingam during worship and this helps in healing and reaping various health benefits.
5. Aundha Nagnath Jyotirlinga
It is believed that the temple was built by Yudhisthira, the eldest Pandav, while they were in an exile for 14 years. Devotees believe that by praying at this temple, one can safeguard themselves against all poisons.
Itinerary for Maharashtra Jyotirlinga Tour
Day 1: Mumbai – Bhimashankar – Ahmednagar
- Early morning departure from Mumbai.
- Proceed to Bhimashankar and complete Darshan.
- Proceed to Ahmednagar.
- Overnight stay in Ahmednagar.
Day 2: Ahmednagar – Aundha – Parli
- Early morning travel to Nagnath and complete Darshan.
- Proceed to Parli Vaijnath and complete Darshan.
- Overnight stay in Parli.
Day 3: Parli – Grishneshwar – Aurangabad
- Early morning travel to Grishneshwar Temple and complete Darshan.
- Overnight stay in Aurangabad.
Day 4: Aurangabad – Trimbakeshwar – Mumbai
- Early morning travel to Trimbakeshwar Temple and complete Darshan.
- After darshan proceed to Mumbai.
Jyotirlinga in Maharashtra Map
Tour packages for Jyotirlinga in Maharashtra
Maharashtra Jyotirlinga Tour is considered to be a very sacred pilgrimage and thousands of pilgrims travel to these holy places every year to get blessings of lord shiva.
Here is a list of some of the Maharashtra Jyotirlinga Tour Packages including hotels, food and vehicle:
- Panch Jyotirlinga Tour from Pune
- Panch Jyotirlinga Tour from Mumbai
- Panch Jyotirlinga Tour from Shirdi
Maharashtra 5 Jyotirlinga in Hindi
- त्रंबकेश्वर मंदिर
- ग्रीष्नेश्वर मंदिर
- भिमशंकर मंदिर
- औंधा नागनाथ मंदिर
- परली वैजनाथ मंदिर
List of all 12 Jyotirlingas in India
- Kashi Vishwanath Jyotirlinga located in Varanasi. One of the most famous temples in India.
- Somnath temple located in Veraval, Gujarat. Located on the sea shore.
- Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga located near Nashik in Maharashtra. Famous for Kaal Sarp Dosh Puja.
- Omkareshwar Jyotirlinga located in Madhya Pradesh near Mandhata on the banks of River Narmada.
- Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga located in the holy city of Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh. Famous for Bhasmarati.
- Grishneshwar temple located near Aurangabad in Maharashtra. Located right next to Ellora Caves.
- Kedarnath Jyotirlinga located in the himalayan region of Uttarakhand. Also famous as one of the char dham.
- Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga located near Pune in Maharashtra. Source of River Bhima.
- Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga located in Srisailam in Andhra Pradesh.
- Nageshwar Jyotirlinga located near Dwarka in Gujarat. Nagnath in Maharashtra is also considered as the Nageshwar Jyotirlinga.
- Parli Vaidyanath Jyotirlinga located in Maharashtra. Also the one in Jharkhand is considered as the Vaidyanath Jyotirlinga.
- Rameshwaram Jyotirlinga located in Tamil Nadu. Also part of the bigger char dham yatra.
Frequently Asked Questions about Five Jyotirlinga in Maharashtra
There are five Jyotirlinga in Maharashtra. 1. Trimbakeshwar, 2. Grishneshwar, 3. Bhimashankar, 4. Aundha Nagnath and 5. Parli Vaijnath. In total there are twelve jyotirlinga in India.
To cover all five jyotirlinga in Maharashtra, you can start your trip either from Mumbai or Pune. Both the cities are well connected by rail, road and air. It will take you four days to cover all the places.
Jyotirlinga is considered as a true or Swayambhu form of Lord Shiva. Swayambhu Linga means that Lord Shiva turned himself into a Linga. There are 12 Jyotirlingas in all.
The Jyotirlinga near Shirdi are Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga (Around 120 km) and Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga (Around 100 km).
The Jyotirlinga near Aurangabad is Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga (Around 30 km).
The Jyotirlinga near Pune is Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga (Around 110 km and 3 hrs).
Get down at Nanded railway station and take a bus/taxi to Parli.
Get down at Nashik railway station and take a bus/taxi to Trimbak.
Get down at Pune airport or railway station and take a bus/taxi to Bhimashankar.
Get down at Aurangabad airport or railway station and take a bus/taxi to Verul.