- Griha Pravesh Puja takes place in an Indian household when one enters into a new house for the first time.
- This ritual signifies the hard work and success in the construction of a new house.
- In some cases, it happens at the re-entry of the person in the house after some renovations.
- Also, this puja pleases the deities and keeps any negativity away.
Who should perform this Puja?
- Griha Pravesh Puja is a Hindu ritual of great significance.
- One should perform this puja under the guidance of a priest with experience.
- Also, the head of the family should perform this puja along with his wife.
- This puja must be done only after installing doors and windows in the house.
- Nevertheless, the inner infrastructure can be incomplete.
What are the benefits of doing Griha Pravesh Puja?
Here’re the benefits of performing Griha Pravesh Puja:
- The puja purifies and sanctifies every nook and corner of the house.
- Further, it eliminates and reduces the ill effects of the bad Vastu.
- This ritual also provides both inner and mental peace to the residing family members.
- It welcomes good luck and fortune in the house.
- This also results in the clearing of bad thoughts from the minds of the family members making them wiser.
- Furthermore, it provides spiritual bliss to all of the family members.
How to decide the time of the Griha Pravesh Puja?
- One performs this pooja depending upon the position of the Sun. Sun’s movement determines the auspicious day to perform it.
- The best time for the Griha Pravesh puja is when the Sun moves north.
- Also, the Hindu calendar determines the auspicious months for moving into a new house.
- One also fixes the time of this puja depending upon the astrological calculations.
What is the best time to move into the house as per astrological calculations?
Some of the best months to move into the new house are –
Auspicious Muhurats that bring wealth and prosperity.
|Magh (Part January and part February)|
|Falgun (Part February and part March)|
|Baishak (Part April and part May)|
|Jeishtha (Part May and part June)|
Muhurats with no particular effect other than overall well-being
|Kartik (Part October and part November)|
|Margahirsh (Part November and part December)|
|Ashadh (Part June and part July)|
|Bhadrapad (Part August and part September)|
|Ashwin (Part September and part October)|
|Paush (Part December and part January)|
Shubh Muhurats for Griha Pravesh in 2019
|Month with Date||Muhurat||Nakshatra||Tithi|
|Oct 30||06:31 am – 10:00 pm||Anuradha||Tritiya|
|Nov 2||01:31 am – 06:34 am||Uttara Ashadha||Saptami|
|Nov 9||02:39 pm – 06:39 am, Nov 10||Revati||Trayodashi|
|Nov 13||10:02 pm – 06:42 am, Nov 14||Rohini||Dwitiya|
|Nov 14||06:42 am – 06:43 am, Nov 15||Rohini, Mrigashirsha||Dwitiya, Tritiya|
|Nov 15||06:43 am – 07:46 pm||Mrigashirsha||Tritiya|
|Nov 21||06:30 pm – 06:49 am, Nov 22||Uttara Phalguni||Dashami|
|Nov 22||06:49 am – 04:42 pm||Uttara Phalguni||Dashami, Ekadashi|
|Nov 30||06:05 pm – 06:56 am, Dec 1||Uttara Ashadha||Panchami|
|Dec 6||07:00 am – 07:01 am, Dec 7||Uttara Bhadrapada, Revati||Dashami|
|Dec 7||07:01 am – 01:29 am, Dec 8||Revati||Ekadashi|
|Dec 12||10:42 am – – 06:19 am, Dec 13||Mrigashirsha||Pratipada|
Dont’s of the Griha Pravesh Puja
- One should avoid Griha Pravesh Puja when a lady in the house is expecting a child.
- One should also avoid it during the first day of the Tamil month, Tuesdays and New Moon days.
What are the auspicious festive days for Griha Pravesh Puja?
- Best festive days for this puja muhurats are Dussehra, Vasant Panchami, Gudi Padwa and Akshaya Tritiya.
The Procedure of Griha Pravesh Puja
Performing of Griha Pravesh Puja pleases the Vaastu deity. A Brahmin priest performs it by chanting mantras to invoke the blessings of Vaastu Devata.
Time needed: 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Here’s the list of steps involved in Griha Pravesh Puja:
- Break a coconut
The deity of Vaastu is appeased outside and the male head breaks a coconut that is placed on the threshold.
- Kalash Puja
Also, one performs the Kalash puja by filling the pot with water, a coin and nine types of grains or navadhanya.
- Place coconut on Kalash
One should tie the coconut with a red cloth. Then, he/she should place it on the Kalash with mango leaves.
- Recite Mantras
The priest recites sacred mantras to this pot during the puja.
- Carry pot inside the house
The husband and wife carry this sacred pot inside the house by placing it near the havan.
- Cow and Calf entry
The cow and a calf enter first before the members of the family at the time of traditional entry. This brings positive energies and prosperity into their households.
- Boil milk
After the puja, the lady of the house boils the milk and it is necessary that the milk should spill over.
- Milk offering
Afterwards, she offers this milk to the family deity or Kula devata. Then she offers it to other members of the family.
- Stay overnight
Family members must provide a proper meal to the priest. Also, they should not lock the house at any cost and should stay there overnight.
- Keep lamp burning
In order to attract spiritual energies, the lamp should keep burning.
What are the materials required for Griha Pravesh Puja?
For performing the Griha Pravesh Puja, one requires the following things:
|Samagri/Things required||Quantity||Samagri/ Things required||Quantity|
|Kapoor||1 packet||Pure Ghee||500 gm|
|Ilaichi||10 gm||Roli||1 packet|
|Clove||10 gm||Pure Milk Sweet||500 gm|
|Rice||500 gm||Mango Leaf||As per requirement|
|Curd||250 gm||Pan Leaf||10|
Other requirements for this puja are:
- One also needs fruits, tulsi leaf and flowers as per requirement. Further, one needs 2 towels (rough), a packet of Agarbatti.
- Moreover, one also requires, 5 Yogyapabit, 50 gm of Haldi powder, a meter long red cloth, 1.25 meter of yellow cloth.
- Further, for Gauri Puja one needs Bangles, Bindis, a piece of Blouse, 2 Dhotis or Vastra for Ganesh/ Satyanarayan Puja and 2 Deepak brass etc.
Where to perform Griha Pravesh Puja?
- This puja must be performed in the north-east corner of the house.
- On the day of the puja, the male member of the family breaks a coconut on the doorway.
- All of this is done in the presence of the priest who recites the mantra.
- From there, he lights a camphor lamp on the pumpkin in the doorway.
- Forth breaking the coconut, the owner of the new house along with the family members carries an image of the deity and enters the kitchen.
- Then, holy water is sprinkled in all rooms.
What is the cost of performing Griha Pravesh Puja?
- Griha Pravesh puja can cost you from Rs. 6500 to Rs. 9000.
- Nevertheless, this price range includes the cost of the materials or samagri for the puja.
- While entering the new house, a Navagrahahanti and Vastushanti Homam is also performed.
- Also, 108 Namavalis of all the 9 planets are recited along with the Navagraha Sooktam.
- Two priests perform Vastu Shanti Puja along with the Homam and the recitation of Sri Rudram and the Pancha Suktas.
- The whole process of construction of a house ends on Griha Pravesh Puja and begins from Bhoomi Pooja.
Hope the information is useful for you. Yet if you have any queries, then leave a comment below and we will get back to you asap.