When someone enters a new house, they must perform Griha Pravesh puja. This signifies hard work and success in building a new house. In some cases it takes place when the person re-enters the house after some renovations. Also, it impresses the deities and keeps any negativity away.
Who should perform Griha Pravesh Puja?
Griha Pravesh puja is a very important Hindu ritual. One should perform this puja only after installing doors and shutters in the house. However, the inner infrastructure can be incomplete. When a learned pandit is unavailable for the pooja, one can also perform it himself or herself.
What are the benefits of doing Griha Pravesh Puja?
Here’re the benefits of performing Griha Pravesh Puja:
- The Griha Pravesh puja purifies and sanctifies the nooks and corners of the house.
- Further, it eliminates and reduces the ill effects of the bad Vastu.
- This puja also provides inner peace and mental peace to the members of the family.
- It helps in increasing good luck and fortune.
- It also clears bad thoughts from the minds of the family members and makes them wiser.
- Further, it provides a spiritual bliss for all the members of the family.
When should I perform Griha Pravesh Puja?
One performs this pooja depending upon the position of the Sun. Movement of the Sun decides the auspicious day to perform it. The best time for the Griha Pravesh puja is when the Sun moves north. Also, the lunar calendar decides the auspicious months for moving into a new house.
Based on the astrological calculations, one fixes the time to perform the Griha Pravesh puja.
Some of the best months to move into the new house are: Jyeshta month (May-June), Baisakh month (April-May) for the prosperity and wealth, Phalguna month (February-March) for accumulation of wealth and Magha month (January-February) for wealth gain.
One should avoid Griha Pravesh Puja when a lady in the house is expecting a child. One should also avoid it during first day of the Tamil month, Tuesdays and New Moon days.
Days that are best for the Griha Pravesh puja muhurats are Dussehra, Vasant Panchami, Gudi Padwa and Akshaya Tritiya.
How to perform Griha Pravesh Puja?
Performance of Griha Pravesh Puja pleases the Vaastu deity. A Brahmin priest performs it by chanting mantras to invoke the blessings of Vaastu Devata.
Here’s how to perform Griha Pravesh Puja:
- The deity of Vaastu is appeased outside and the lady breaks a coconut that is placed on the threshold.
- Also, one performs the kalash puja by filling the pot with water, a coin and nine types of grains or navadhanya.
- One should tie the coconut with a red cloth. Then, he/she should place it on the kalash with mango leaves.
- The priest by recites sacred mantras to this pot during the puja.
- The husband and wife carry this sacred pot inside the house by placing it near the havan.
- The cow and a calf enter first before the members of the family at the time of traditional entry. This brings positive energies and prosperity into their households.
- After the puja, the lady of the house boils the milk and it is necessary that the milk should spill over.
- Afterwards, she offers this milk to the family deity or Kula devata. Then she offers it to other members of the family.
- Family members must provide proper meal to the priest. Also, they should not lock the house at any cost and should stay there overnight.
- In order to attract spiritual energies, the lamp should keep burning.
What are the materials required for Griha Pravesh Puja?
For performing the Griha Pravesh Puja, one requires the following things:
Kapoor -1 packet, Ilaichi -10 gram, Coconut -2, Gola -1, Long/ Clove -10 gram, Rice- 500 gm, Curd -250 Gram, Milk -250 gram, Roli -1 pkt, Shahad- 50 ml, Misari -50 gm, Sweet of pure milk- 500gm, Mango leaf as per requirement, Pan leaf- 10, Supari- 11
Other requirements are:
Fruits as per requirement, Tulsi leaf as per requirement, Towels (Rough) 2, Flowers as per requirement, Pure Ghee- 500 gm, Agarbatti -1 packet, Dhoop batti, Janeu/ Yagyopabit -5, Haldi Powder- 50 gm, Cloth Red -1, Cloth Yellow- 1.25 mt, Sari/Vastra 1 (For Gauri Pujan), Bangles and Bindi (For Gauri Pujan), Blouse Piece 1 (For Gauri Pujan), Dhoti /Vastra 2 (For Ganesh/Satyanarayan Pujan), Deepak Brass- 2 etc.
Where to perform Griha Pravesh Puja?
One should perform this puja in the north-east corner of the house. On the day of this puja, the male member of the family breaks a coconut on the doorway and the priest recites the mantra. Then, he lights a camphor lamp on the pumpkin in the doorway.
After breaking the coconut, the owner of the new house along with the family members carries an image of the deity and enters the kitchen. Water is sprinkled in all rooms.
What is the cost of performing Griha Pravesh Puja?
Griha Pravesh puja can cost you from Rs. 6500 to Rs. 9000. It will also include the cost of the materials for the puja. While entering a new house, a Navagrahahanti and Vastushanti homam is performed. 108 Namavalis of all the 9 planets are recited along with the Navagraha Sooktam.
The Vastu Shanti puja is performed along with the homam and the recital of of Sri Rudram and the pancha suktas. Two priests perform it.